Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i am having a rough day...

mamainpainmmamainpain Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am just sitting here this morning crying, tired of all of this. I am so depressed, feels like I have been going through this forever. I really have to stop taking the soma that I was given, makes me feel great when I am on them but I feel worse when they wear off. I know I am kind of rambling here, but I just feel sad today. I am 7 weeks out from my 360 2 level alif and I am not sick enough to be in bed, but not well enough to go to work, just hate hanging out here in limbo.I could really use some encouragement today. Thanks

• I know it is so hard, sweetie!!! I have been in pain for a year and a half now and post op since January. Now I'm waiting for the phone call for the date for my next surgery (hardware removal). I wish I had the words to make it all better for you, but I'm at a loss. You are not alone tho. And you are only 7 weeks out!!! Chances are, things will only get better from here on out. Hang in there, your body has been through alot. Give it the rest it needs to heal!
  • I'm sorry you're having one of "those" days. I'd bet that every single member can relate to how you feel and it isn't very nice. In fact days like that can make your physical pain worse sometimes. It does seem that the Soma might be giving you problems - do you have any other mr's that you could try instead?

Maybe you could see if there's something you can do to cheer yourself up - maybe pick up an old hobby, read a book that you've always wanted to read, call someone that always made you feel good that you haven't talked to in a while, try out a new recipe - you know it could be just about anything.

Anyway, I don't have any button to push to make you feel better, but I wanted you to know that I hear you and am sending you a big, but gentle, cyber hug. Feel free to PM me any time if you need to talk or vent. I'm just a click away...

PS Yours might be the shortest "rant" in the history of Spine-Health. :-)

• Sending you some O:) O:) O:) O:) to watch over you while you blue! Hey, just pull out the crying towel and have a good one. Tomorrow's another day! Don't be hard on yourself -- you're only seven weeks out from surgery and you've suffered a blow to your emotional and physical health. It's okay -- you're still there underneath all that feeling like poopie!

The women who posted above are very wise and I agree with their comments -- also that yours IS the shortest rant in history on SH! Try to focus on something that will make you feel a little better as Cath said -- sometimes for me, since I like to bake, I make cupcakes -- just the smell of them cooking in the oven makes me feel better -- of course, I tell you that not knowing how mobile you are -- call a good friend, read a gossip magazine, watch a funny movie -- just know you won't always feel like you do right now.

Sending you a >:D< too! Take care,

• Just wanted to let you know that you can PM me if you need some encouragement. This is a tough time for many of us including me and If we could all share our advise to help us stay more mentally happy it's a BIG step in healing. The best to you, keep your chin up, and PM me if you need a cyber shoulder to lean on. Kevin
  • Thank you all so much! It is so nice to know i can cry and be heard!! I have been taking a lot of soma along with norco this last week and i think the soma really makes me feel sad for some reason. Also I am just stiff and sore, i've been walking more last week and I think being on the muscle relaxers might have made me over do a bit, I felt good, so i did too much. I am just going to give myself permisssion to be very lazy today and cry if i want!! I used to jog every day and i can't tell you how much I miss that natural high I got from that, I feel so low about never being able to do that again ( I am crying again :''( :''( ) Oh well, thanks again for just listening!
  • on what you will never be able to do again maybe you can focus on the new things that you might try as you get better and better. I get that depressive side effect from some of my meds also. It is OK to cry if you need to and I think that we all understand. I hope that you have a much better and brighter day tomorrow!
  • good morning everyone!! pardon the typing errors as i am one hand typing in bed trying to get comfortable. Emotionally i feel much better, I just wanted to let you all know how comforting it is to know you are all out here, even at this time of day!! have a good one everyone!
  • its a release, take one day at a time, you have been through a tough time, sending you a hug, think happy thoughts and have a good day
  • I don't know why that is, but sometimes for me crying is the only thing that will release my emotions and help me feel better.

I hope you have a better day today.

• today! I have been through several surgeries and I know that it is tough on both our bodies and our minds. Take each day at it's face value let yourself feel what you need to and you will be fine in the end.

• I really don't mind the crying so much, I know release is good and generally am ok with a good cry. I think lately it is the in limbo feeling that has been driving me nuts, i've read, watched all my favorite shows (including every episode of sopranos and tudors!), read every gossip magazine, took a gazzillion baths, a million walks, but still in between all this i can't fight this stiff,very tight feeling that is always here in my back, makes me irritable, grumpy. I know it's only been now almost 8 wks, but I admit I am impatient with this whole thing. I need to get out more and that will help and really just listening to all of you helping each other and me lifts me up. Mostly I just want to feel normal again!!!!!!
    Hope everyone has a great day and I am going to keep busy and try to have some fun today. I am giving everyone a very big hug!!!
  • Getting back into your routine even the small things- call your friends and family have them pick you up and take you places etc.. or come over to chat or for tea or coffee. Just the small things tend to lift our spirits.

Hoping you are feeling better Rachel.

• Hi Rachel, like so many others on this site I have been there (2 level PLIF in 2003, and another 2 level ALIF next month). The limbo time when you start to feel better but still have so many restictions to movement is difficult. However, you (we) need to get through it without doing too much too soon, beacause having come this far, doing damage now because of restlessness would not be good.

Just know that there will be an end this, and you will get back to your new "normal". Keep up with this site for the many supportive and experienced people here.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further or have other questions.