Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical spine issues

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hello fellow forum members

I enclose a link to my own MRI from 2007 and 2009. If you click the thumbnails they should enlarge.

Symptoms are stiff neck, reduced neck mobility, into shoulders/arms sometimes but most of the time I am not so uncomfortable. The main thing is a definite lack of mobility, nI tend to turn my body rather than my neck a lot of the time. However, I do feel anxious about the MRI results and in partticular that the 'thecal sac" is indented, that there is osteoiphye complex and encroaching of both neural foramina.

I am in the UK and so an NHS patient. My main concern is that the NHS would generally intervene once there is definite neurological compromise or emergency when possibly the chance of success is less than it would be nopw. The other side of the coin is thatthere are risks of course, and I dont know either what sort of procedure might be appropriate in my case. I am in my mid 40s and have had this since about 2002. It is worrying that when I was seen in 2007 the Consultant said a whiplash in a car accident would be likely to instantly paralise me. How nice to think I faced a long drive home from that appoiuntm ent.

So how does the below look to the folks here ? Thanks

MRI scans

The report of the 2009 MRI is below

CLINICAL HISTORY: Known to have cervical spondylosis. History of radiculopathy.

Straightening of the cervical spine is seen with loss of normal lordosis. The cervical vertebral heights and alignment is preserved. Evidence of a haemangioma is seen in the posterior aspect of the C6 vertebral body. This is stable in comparison to the previous MR of 24/08/2007.

C5/6 discs show signs of desiccation. C6/7 disc is degenerated with reduced height. Evidence of cervical spondylosis seen with prominent posterior vertebral osteophyte at C6/7.

Evidence of posterior disc osteophyte complex is seen at C6/7 slightly indenting the thecal sac and encroaching both neural foramina mildly right slightly more than left. However the nerve roots are normal. These findings are stable in comparison to the previous MRI. The cervical cord is unremarkable. No focal area of any abnormal signal intensity seen.

Conclusion: Cervical spondylosis most marked at C6/7. C6/7 disc degeneration. Disc desiccation also involving the C5/6 and upper dorsal discs. Posterior disc osteophyte complex at C6/7 indenting the thecal sac mildly and encroaching both neural foramina, right mildly more than the left. In comparison to the previous MRI of 24/08/2007 no significant differences are seen.

• Welcome to Spine Health, Dragon,

We are not medically trained people here but fellow spinies, who have or have had some issues related to the neck or the back. So while we cannot interpret your MRIs or give recommendations regarding treatment, we are here to provide support or answer any questions you may have regarding our personal experiences, like how we dealt with a certain problem, what steps we took to find certain answers. In other words, we can give you some practical suggestions about what we learned through our common experiences.

Take care,