Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Redo posterior fusion

phyllis_gapphyllis_ga Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,
I am 18 months out from my fusion. I have continue to have pain since my surgery. I knew something was not right and my orthropedic didn't seem interested looking any farther for the cause of pain. After 6 months of PT and SI injections I went to another orthropedic for another opinion.
Myelogram CT showed
1.Spondylolisthesis @ L5 S1 Grade 2
2.Impingement @ L5 nerve root with bone spur
3.Fusion has not healed
Suggestion was a redo and place a interbody fusion and larger laminectomy and removal of the 2 screws.

So now I am looking to find the best person for the surgery. I will even travel out of state. It will be a complicated case.
If anyone has any suggestions please email me @ pcwcen@gmail.com. South Fl spine institute came highly recommended.????? has anyone use this institute?

• I don't blame you for wanting to find another surgeon. That's really cold!

If a surgery fails there's lots of reasons. I would think most of the time it's not the surgeon but not to support his work is just not right.

You look young and beautiful in your picture. Sorry you're dealing with such a tough situation.

I'll send you an email. I have an idea.
  • Do you not want to go to the second ortho? My advice would be to look for a fellowship-trained spinal surgeon. This can be either a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic spinal surgeon who has additional training in the spine and who devotes his practice to the back and neck.

You don't have to go to a well-known spine clinic to find a highly experienced spinal surgeon. I was equally interested in the follow-up care as I'm the type that wants to be able to see my doctor as needed, and I didn't want to have to travel to do it.

Since you have now seen two orthos, you might want to find a neurosurgeon who specializes in the spine for another opinion just to see if he/she might have another approach to your issues.

Good luck in your search.

• Hi Gwennie
    The 1st surgeon was board certified and was over the residency program at Emory and Chief of Orthropedic@ VA before leaving and joining another orthro group here in Atlanta. The 2nd surgeon did his fellowship at Texas spine and comes highly recommened..but hey so did the 1st one....lol..so to be honest I have just kinda lost faith in physicians. I am checking out some neurosurgeons also.