Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 more days

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On Monday the 26th of October, I am having a lumbar fusion from L4 or L5-S1.

Any last minute advice would be really welcomed.

Thank you

• The only advice that I would have is to make sure you take a look at the post op must haves at the top of this page. Recovery is so much easier when you are prepared.
  • Good Luck on the 26th. Pay attention to your dailey activites for the next few days. Make sure you have things up where you dont have to bend to get them. Stack stuff on the dressor etc. It will be easier for you, Make sure you have the grabber and stuff, Make sure you have help at home the first week at least. Lastly, Good Luck.. I am having surgery on my head the same day so I will look to see how you are doing after I get home..Take care, and do something fun this weekend, It will take your mind off of the surgery and it will be awhile until you will feel like it again..Love Robin
  • I'll second whats already been posted. I'm 19 days post op and doing great. This is a great site with much useful information. Practice your log rolling as this is the only way to get in and out of bed. There will be no bending, twisting or lifting so keep everything high and in reach.All of us spineys will be praying for you during this surgery and for a speedy recovery afterward. God Bless and keep us informed!
  • You are restricted from bending after fusion surgery so be ready to squat to get low instead of bending. Your legs will be working hard but you will want to walk a lot every day anyway.

I am 2 1/2 months post op from ADR & ALIF and working full time without restrictions for a few weeks now. You will do fine if you have done your homework and have put yourself in the best position to succeed!
  • I think my best advice would be to drink lots of fluids the few days before your surgery. Make sure your body is really hydrated. My laminectomy is two days after your surgery. Sending good thoughts your way.
  • Wish you the best for your surgery. Be prepared by looking at the list someone here has already prepared. Very helpful ideas. Staying hydrated is very important and will also help with bowel movements. Just take it easy and don't push yourself.
    I'm having my hardware removed from fusion at L5/S1 on Monday. We can pray for each other. Log on as soon as you can to let us know how you are doing.