Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 step forward and two 2 back

cybertonyccybertony Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's been 12 days post op I thought tings were going relatively well but now I'm starting to wander before the surge I just had a little tingling in my left index finger that would come and go and I was starting to notice my left pectoral muscle was starting to atrophy little. Well now post surgery the tingling was gone for about 2 days then cane back and it actually papers a little worse now I'm feeling the left hand and wrist feels week and I can also feel weakness in the left peck muscle My question is this normal to occur due to post operative swelling or should the surgeon start testing to investigate why these are returning. I expressed my concerns to his secretary yesterday and she has not gotten back to me as of yet any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and the symptoms do start to get worse later in the day and there basically not noticeable after a good night sleep. On a good note I have weened my self down to just half a percocet before bed. thanks Tony.


  • Cybertony,
    Many here would be glad of your progress in that some inertia is always helpful and at the recovery stage we are always looking for indicators of how the future will transpire.

    We are full of expectation and hope and need that ideal to set realistic expectations, we may have waited along time for this process to start and that initial leap of faith is an emotional and testing time.

    My own fusion took some 18 months to find some sort of reliable improvement and although we now feel every twinge it is normal to feel this should be improving more quickly. The reduction of your medication should be applauded and do not leave yourself in more pain, as your pace and functionality increase.

    Well done you and good luck, pace well.

  • I agree with John that recovery is really a very long road after spine surgery and you're bound to feel a lot of strange things along the way. Of course it's always good to contact your surgeon when something odd comes along, but chances are that it's just part of the process.

    Reducing the meds is a good thing as long as you're not compromising the pain you're in. After 12 days, you still might need to take some pain medications to help you function. Don't be afraid to take them if you need them.

    Good luck and I'm glad you're moving forward.
  • Just a non-medical professional opinion...

    Since you said that it's worse after being up all day and better by morning - try taking it completely easy for several days. Can't hurt anyway - see what happens.
  • Thanks to all that have replied. I guess the exact question I'm posing is it normal that the symptoms would reaper and if it is, what causes them to come back, is there perhaps swelling from the surgery or could it be a sign of a problem say infection. Boy this stuff sure is not a whole lot of fun to deal with. My DR secretary is supposed to have some answers on Thursday. Thanks for every one's help.

    live strong,
  • I had to be readmitted 3 days after my cervical fusion due to increased nerve pain and weakness. My NS explained it to me that the nerve had been compressed, was released during surgery, and has now "woke up screaming" lol. It took about 2 months for all of this to completely subside. So, hang in there. It doesn't sound to me like something to worry about.

    Best to you,

  • Thanks Marianne that makes a lot of sense hopefully that's all that's happening. Tony
  • Just a quick update I seem to be moving forward again feeling pretty good knock on wood.I'm really taking it easy if I feel discomfort I rest rather than taking any pills I believe this will allow my body to heal so far it seems to be working.
  • GREAT news to hear Tony :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
Sign In or Register to comment.