Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram yesterday

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I hope I never, ever have to go through that test again!

I knew I was going to be in trouble as I looked at the screen when he was pinpointing where to insert the needles, and there was no visible disc at L5/S1 on the left side. Yeah, that's not a good thing. Just him trying to insert the needle at that level was an excruciatingly painful experience. And then came the pain of the injection! :jawdrop: :OO :jawdrop: Oh my... that was horrible.

When they wheeled me in for the CT scan afterward, I literally could not move over to the table. She had to help me by pulling on my gown as I attempted to sit up and move over. I felt so helpless! Next week in the hospital should be an adventure if that was any indication.

On a positive note, at least this confirmed my original suspicions that L4/5 was no longer the problem, that the pain had changed, and the second discectomy was a complete waste of time. The positive in that being that I feel I made the right decision to go to another surgeon. My previous surgeon was planning to fuse L4/5 only, with no further testing, as he believed that was still the problem area.

I am still in a LOT of pain from the test, although I feel better than yesterday.

I am looking forward to getting this over and done with... I can deal with surgery pain... at least there is an end in sight with that.

Just wanted to share... :)

• Ok, I know I whine alot here, but oh my gosh, I am so thankfull I never needed the test you just discribed, it sounds awfull!!! EEEWWWW!!! You poor thing.
    Hang in there, and my thoughts are with you!!
  • Hi Deanna,

I had a discogram at L5-S1 to see if it was the pain generator. They checked the two disks above first. No problem. But when they hit the last one I cried and begged them to stop. I cannot ever remember pain as bad and intense as that. They finally gave me a shot of demerol to calm me down. Needless to say I had a PLIF at L5-S1 in a month. The surgery was easier than a discogram. There are still issues today but not as painful as a disk generated pain.
    God bless on your upcoming surgery.
  • I recently went through a discogram and CT scam immediately after, so I feel your pain. It sounds like it was a huge success for you in figuring out exactly what is going on with your back, so that's great! :) Good luck on your surgery coming up! I'll be thinking of you, mine is in about 2 weeks.
  • George, yes, they did the same with me. There were 3 levels in total that they tested. L3/4, L4/5 and L5/S1. L3/4 was negative, then the pain at L4/5 was similar to the pain I had prior to my first surgery, only not as severe. Mostly that was feeling like my right calf was going to cramp up. Then L5/S1 made me see stars.

He is fusing both levels, L4/5 and L5/S1.

It is good to know that the discogram was possibly worse pain than I will be in for next week. I was not as lucky afterward with my test, though. They did not give me good drugs. They did give me a shot of toradol when the pressure and pain wouldn't subside.

At least I have a week to rest before going in next Tuesday.

Thank you all for the wishes and thoughts. I appreciate it so much!

• Glad you are over the discogram. It was like mine, indicated that I needed more than one level. Hope your surgery is sucessful in relieving your pain. Good Luck on Tues. I have mine on Monday, so will check on you when I get home. Love, Robin
  • I am SO grateful for my Discogram! Sounds like you and I had a similar experience.

My body was trembling so badly afterwards from the pain and the whole experience that they pushed some extra IV meds and STILL had to move me to the CT table, I could not move a muscle myself.

And.. I am NOT a wimp. I handle pain amazingly well. It really was that bad.

Luckily I didn't have a long recovery and was fairly okay by the next day.

I would do it again though to get the right surgery done! Surgery is MUCH worse than the Discogram!