Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back surgery

Laurie07LLaurie07 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had lower lumbar (or any) surgery where the Dr did not use bone grafts but used Bone Morphogenic Protein? I have been told that it promotes bone growth faster. My surgery is scheduled for 10/26/09 and I an very nervous.
I am having and Anterior Lumbar Fusion of L5-S1.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

It's very common for surgeons to use BMP. Although it's not FDA approved for cervical surgeries, the surgeons get around that by using what is called "off label." It is FDA approved for lumbar surgeries, however.

You're going to get some interesting posts with this topic as there have been a few out there where the BMP has overgrown causing more problems. But by and large, I think the success of BMP use outweights the failure.

If you put in BMP in the search area at the top of the page, you'll find all sorts of threads in the forum that discuss this at length.

• NS used BNP with my 360 fusion and I'm doing great.I'm 19 days past my surgery and It has completely stopped my pain. I hope you do as well. It was the best decision I've made.

Here is a link to my surgery experience.
  • Yes, more commonly we refer to it as BMP.

I had BMP used in my 2-level fusion just over a year ago. Both inside and outside the spinal canal.

I had some complications, and it was never absolutely confirmed, although it was suggested, that my sudden post-op onset of numbness could have been caused by the BMP (or possibly from some hemorhaging) inside the spinal canal. I had a second surgery to explore and they removed the BMP from inside the spinal canal.

OUTSIDE the spinal canal the BMP was left and I have been fusing beautifully.

Unfortunately the numbness from those first few post-op hours is still a major problem for me and I've never gotten the feeling back in my leg.

So... do I think the BMP helped - YES

Would I have them use BMP again - yes, but with reservations... like keeping it OUT of the spinal canal. I don't want to take anymore chances.