Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got my ACDF Date: Nov 10, what now?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Yo Yo,

Well I finally called the NS yesterday and decided on a fusion (single level) over the ADR (it was just going to be too much fighting with the air force). They told me that they could get me in this Thursday! I said "heck no, I need time to process this". November 10th is the date..a single level fusion on C 5-6. I have a minor bulge at C-6/7 though he said it was minimal..but I fully expect to be having another fusion in 10 years or less due to the fact that I am 32 and active.
My question is if anyone knows of a thread that talks about what to stock up on before the surgery or what kind of checklist there is in order to get ready. Also, what are the essential items to have after the surgery to make recovery more comfortable. My NS has not said much to me yet about this subject.

Thanks guys.

advertisement

Comments

• Post op must haves. If you put that in the search it should pop up.

My favorites were satin sheets and a flat pillow. The sheets allow me to roll easily into bed. I use a special flat neck pillow that has support for the curve in my neck.

A recliner is worth the money. Sleeping in one didn't work for me. It's tough to get out of them. My head was so heavy it was crazy! My doc had me support the back of my head and roll into bed. She was not a big recliner supporter.

Straws were a life saver too.

I hope your surgery goes well!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    The one thing I could not do with out was straws. Have plenty of extra pillows on the bed, have a area ready beside your bed for meds, drink, books,phone and the other thing I could not live without was dry hairwash. You can buy it at any medical supply store.
    good luck on your surgery and have a speedy recovery.
    Susan
  • There is a wonderful posting here on pre and postop must haves. I had C5/6 fusion and have done well. I barely notice these days that it was done. I just can't overdo certain activities that involve bending my head forward for too long.

Do you have someone to help you when you get home with cooking, etc. If not, have meals ready made for when you get home. Also, I found I was a bit weak and needed a shower chair so I could sit while bathing. A long handled scrub brush helped to wash my back and feet. As Susan said, have a small table set up next to your bed with your phone, remote, etc. on it. One of those pillows that props you up in bed is great as well. I wish I had a recliner when I sat out in my living room.

Best wishes to you,

Marianne