Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jefferson Fracture -- Atlanto Occipital Dislocation?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone else out there suffer a 3 or 4 plc fracture of the C1, known as a Jefferson Fracture?

How about anyone else who suffered atlanto occipital dislocation? (C1 broke loose from the skull), AKA dislocation of the occipital condyles or laymen's terms, internal decapitation?

• Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problem.
    Did you have surgery to stablize your neck?
    I had surgery 6 years ago from skull base to c6.
    I was told that if I did not have surgery I would be
    My problem was compression of the spinal cord.
    Plates and rods were used to stablize my neck

Surgery helped to reduce pain/tingling/numbness.
    I have made adjustment to my life in order to cope.
    I do not have full movement of my neck from side to side.
    Hope you days will not be too difficult.

• thanks for the reply!

No, I have not had surgery 'yet'!

I was set up for a fusion much like you had (mine would have been back of skull down to C5) for April 24, then my surgery was postponed due to problems going on for my surgeon (legally, with another patient)...then my surgery was set again for June 4, and I flew the 3000 mi there and was set up and preadmitted to the hospital and the night before, my surgeon decided I didn't need the surgery and cancelled it altogether. I feel that decision was made not with my best interests at heart, but anyway...I am still very unstable. It's been 5.5 years since my injury. I become more debilitated all the time but I also know I am very blessed to even be alive, walking and talking!

I'm sorry about your lack of mobility. I also have a great lack of that, even without the neck surgery, but have learned to get used to it.

I did have, back east, a "tethered cord" surgery, in preparation for the fusion. My spinal cord was released (the filum holding it down tight was sectioned) in 2007, but that has not solved any problems except the urinary ones, it did fix those. Still have lots of pain "below the waist" in low back, all of legs and feet.

Thank you so much for responding!! And for your good wishes. I also pray that your days are also not too difficult.

I will be seeing a new neurosurgeon in Portland, OR, at OHSU on Nov. 18. I'll see if he suggests surgery.

Was your C1 fractured? What injury did you sustain?

thanks again!