Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my miracle for constipation

Laur en PainLLaur en Pain Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
I know that many of us who are on opioid pain medications suffer from constipation. i just wanted to share what has been a miracle for me. I take Magnesium which is supposed to help with muscle cramping. I guess I never really put 2 and 2 together and realized that this is what Milk of Magnesia is derived from. I never have a problem with constipation and have been on the Magnesium for quite some time. I was wondering why I don't have a problem with constipation when I am on such high doses of Oxycontin and percocet but ever really gave it a whole lot of thought. Last week, I ran out of my Magnesium and kept forgetting to pick some up. I went days without it and then starting noticing that I was extremely constipated which hasn't happened to me since after my surgery. I still hadn't put it together that it was the Magnesium keeping me regular and went a few more days without it...and without a BM. LOL! I went out and picked up some Magnesium and started taking it again that night, and by the next morning, all was well again. Obviously, before starting any new medication, even if it is OTC, you should check with you doctor, but I just thought I'd share what works wonders for me.

• Thank you for the tip. Yes I agree that Milk of Magnesium is great for constipation. It has been around for years so we tend to over look it.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Patsy W :H
  • she is talking about plain old magnesium. This was also mentioned by another member in my post about constipation a couple of threads down from here.
  • Never even gave this one a thought - thanks for sharing :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi Laur,
    How much of the stuff do you take? Is it in a capsule or liquid or what? Do you get it at a nutrition store or the local drug store or where ?
  • You can get it at most stores in the vitamins and supplements section. It generally comes in 200mg or 250mg tablets. You can also get it from your doc via prescription.

• I take it in tablet form, I don't know if it comes any other way. But I take 1 x 500mg tablet at night before bed and have no problem going the next morning. Never fails. I just buy it at the drug store in the vitamin and supplement aisle. It may upset your stomach the first few times you take it, so you may want to take it with dinner at first instead of right before bed. You may want to try it in 250mg first as well instead of the 500mg. I bumped up to the 500mg after about a month or so. Lauren.
  • I do take the plain old Magnesium as opposed to the milk of magnesia. Lauren.
  • Thank you for correcting that for me. And thanks again for the tip. I am soooo tired of prune juice, spinach, all bran, corn amd well...you get the picture. I have made a note of it and will have Tammy pick me some up the next time I send her shopping.
    Tips like this means a lot to those of us who are on pain meds and suffer this side effect.
    Patsy W :H
  • Thanks, "C" and Laur for the dosage on magnesium. It sounds like person needs to experiment a bit - carefully.

The organic grocery store near me gave me the idea for the product I use and I'm drinking it right now. It is Senna Tea. I do not recall the brand, maybe something like Celebration, but I do recall it is in a white box as it the company's entire line of tea products.

I toss a tea bag into a large coffee mug with a lid, what I think of as the to go kind of mugs, and sip on about 12-16oz. When it is gone or cold, I just add more hot water. I drink it in the evening and the next day, I can go without trouble. I am on Oxycotin and Oxycodone, so I need a product that works.

If you like to buy herbs by the bulk and experiment, you may be able to make your own concoction, but I am not a medical person, so take this idea with a grain of salt and caution.

The tea tastes really pretty good and I don't even add sugar or honey. I am a coffee drinker, so this is the first tea I really like and I've been drinking it for its effects for over a year. :-D

• I didn't realize that they make Senna Tea. I prefer to use Senna in tablet form if and when necessary. I personally haven't used Magnesium to regulate things, in fact I've taken it for several years and not found it to have any "moving effect" for me. I guess it all depends on what your body gets used to. I'm an oatmeal, juice, fresh fruit and fresh veggie kind of person. Seems to be the most consistent "mix". Just add water and stir.

• After my ADR/ALIF surgery when things became difficut 'to move' the hospital suggested pear juice. I had heard of this from a few other people that had been thru it before me - And it works well. Drinking plenty of water while not fixing the problem helps too
  • I'll have to try that senna tea. I am also a coffee drinker so I'll take your word that it tastes good :) I'm gonna get some tomorrow and give it a shot bc I have been thinking of trying to switch to tea anyway. Thanks for the tips. Lauren
  • I should have added that only one grocery store carries senna tea where I live. You may want to go to any of the kind of stores that specialize in supplements and organic foods if your local grocery doesn't carry it. Also, you may want to call ahead to save yourself a trip. I now buy a three months supply at a time because sometimes it is sold out when I get to this store a bit out of my way. I live in a semi-rural area, so that my make it harder to get too.

Let us know if you find it and if everything comes out alright. ;-D

• Vitamin Shoppe carries a senna tea & they ship, see this link:

I've used another tea made by this company that's very soothing when I have a cold called "Gypsy Cold Care". It's one of the few herbal teas I've tried that tastes good.

Hope this helps.
  • Hello...thanks for the tip on the Magnesium...I am one week post L4/L5 MicroD, and have only had one BM, and that was after trying EVERYTHING on the market to get things moving. The only thing that has worked thus far was the Fleet Phospho Sodium that you mix w/4 oz water, but it is the nastiest tasting stuff and didn't even clean me out completely. That was Tuesday and now I'm back to nothing moving at all. I don't even feel like I need to go, which makes me wonder about nerve function down there??

Anyway, I guess the question I have is whether the Magnesium is also helping with your pain management? I am experiencing a lot more pain now than pre-surgery, but I'm hoping to find something less intoxicating than the percocet so I can go back to driving my kids around.

Thanks for your advice!
  • Another wonderful home remedy is warm prune juice. A mug full of real prune juice warmed up a bit in the microwave.

• Deb,
    My chiropractor was actually the one that put me on the magnesium. It is good for regulation of blood sugar, nerve function, muscle function, immune system support, regulation of body temperature, blood pressure maintenance & energy metabolism. I can't say that it has helped me enough to not need pain medication, but it is definitely good for you regardless. The most important thing about magnesium (I think) for people like us who have had surgery and all, is the nerve & muscle function. I'll tell you one thing that I have recently started that is non-narcotic that has helped with my pain is Celebrex. It is used for arthritis, but it is a great anti-inflammatory. It is a prescription, so maybe just food for thought at the moment until you know for sure that you are not just in post-surgical pain since it has only been a little over a week. Lauren.
  • I checked this out at the place that I buy all of my vitamins. I have found the quality to be unsurpassed and they are way less expensive than most. The other good thing is that no matter how much you buy shipping is only $4.95 Anyway they have bottles of 250 magnesium citrate for $5.25. I am going to give it a try the next order that I place. The site is swansonsvitamins.com
  • JJ,
    Like I posted in the other thread on constipation. I use this brand, Solgar. It works very well and is gentle on your insides.200 x 2 pills. 400Mg/day. With your largest meal. To start if things don't start moving then take it twice/day with meals until you get moving.

Do not do Fleet Phospho Sodium. You shouldn't even be able to get it. They had a big recall on it. Instead use liquid form of Magnesium Citrate. Saline Laxative Oral Solution. About $1.50 at the pharmacy. You drink half a bottle followed by 8 ounces of water. Then wait a couple of hours. Drink the rest of it followed by more water. I suggest you be in the bathroom and seated on the toilet. This 2nd batch will go right through you. It's like a colon cleanse. This stuff comes in fruit flavors so it doesn't taste like any of the chalky stuff.

Since me recent surgery I am taking the MC once/day most days. But I am not on meds anything like you folks or on. Just a pain killer or two a day at most.

Good luck. Happy pooping... ;-)

• is another laxative that some of you may have tried. It was at one time by prescription only, but now you can buy it OTC.

I buy mine at our local "Sam's" store here and get two big bottles for about $20. There is no taste, it isn't bulky, sticky or any of that, I just put some in my orange juice before bed time, it works the next morning, works great for me.

I take Dilaudid, a large amount of Neurontin, along with several other meds and constipation has always been a problem for me until my doctor recommended it a few years ago, in fact before it went OTC. Just thought I would throw my two cents in.....for whatever it is worth. (lol).

Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving. Now, it's time for Christmas shopping. Most of mine will have to be done over the Internet because I cannot walk very far at all due to my back pain ... Bah....Humbug, I always enjoyed shopping....but not anymore. Even thought I bought a few gifts throughout the year, I sure wish I had more!

Take care!