First time poster and I'll try to keep it short and sweet. I'm a 38 year old male. I've never had any back injuries. I've run since high school, but not as much lately. Maybe 3 - 4 miles / week. I was doing SPX Pilates (like pilates, but done on a machine with resistance) for the past 4 months. Used to smoke (for 14 years). Quit cold turkey in June and haven't had a smoke since...honest truth!! I'm an architect so I sit at a desk on a computer for most of the day.
- 3 weeks ago, felt sharp pain in lower back when putting leash on dog. Symptoms were lower back pain around waist. Burning feeling. Pins and needles everywhere from arms on down; although they were infrequent.
- Went to a Chiro. He didn't do x-rays or MRI. Just had me do some movements and asked me questions. He said I had a herniated disc. Not sure how he concluded that. He hooked me to a machine with little white pads that sent electricity to my lower back. Then he tried to sell me a laser therapy package that cost $50 per session and a minimum of 6 sessions. Bye bye to that salesman.
- Went to Ortho. Did X-rays, had me do some movements, and asked me questions. He said he didn't think it was a herniated disc. Prescribed anti-inflammatories. Next appt was 2 weeks later.
- in the interim between visits I was taking it easy. I get up from my chair a lot. I'm working from home (cool boss). I try not to do anything strenuous. I took the meds and after two weeks I felt better, but still have slight aches and every now and then I get pins and needles.
- Went back to Ortho. He said I'm better and should start PT. Twice a week for 4 weeks. Problem is, PT is expensive for us. My wife and I both got pay cuts and other unforeseen bills have made going to PT's tough. Insurance only covers $25/session. Everywhere I call they want $125 to $200 per visit. I just can't do it.
- So I tried self treatment with McKenzie method starting today. I just did the first round of exercises about a half ago. All I did was the lying down for 3 minutes (almost fell asleep), the elbows beneath shoulders exercise for 3 minutes, and 10 of the pressups for 1 set. I didn't feel any discomfort doing any of the exercises. Pain was not 'moving'.
- After that I got back to work. A few minutes later my lower back felt more sore, I had an increase in pins and needles in the same spots as before, and my whole back feels warmer...not burning too much, but definitely warmer.
Is this normal?
Sorry for the novella.
Thanks in advance.