Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery leg pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 5 weeks post "far Lateral Hernation" l3/l4 surgery. Pre surgery incurred tremendous leg pain in thigh and shin, numb at the knee and shin. I could not lay down for weeks, sleeping in a chair. Post surgery was much better but, leg pain is constant and very uncomfortable, mainly in thigh. Leg is also very weak and numbness continues in Knee.

Anybody have thoughts on when this leg ache might subside? I am still taking pain meds to sleep but none during the day. Can walk better, can not run, and thigh is extrenle sensitive to touch, like a bad charlie horse, groin strain and thigh strain all in one!

I would appreciate any feed back.

• I am sorry to hear that you are having such post surgery pain issues. First of all, what kind of surgery? A type of discectomy? Fusion? I had a discectomy (about five yrs ago)and had some residual pain after the surgery. In my case, this pain was gone by about week two. However, I was told that sometimes some folks have damage to the nerve that takes quite some time to heal itself. Not to scare...sometimes people will have permanent problems.

Have you been adhering to your weight lifting restrictions? I reherniated at some point after my discectomy and then have since had a PLIF 3 weeks ago. I had horrible recurring pain-just like pre-discectomy. This felt like burning, stabbing pain, swelling over lower back and buttocks, etc... I guess my point is that I reherniated...albiet, 3-4 yrs later, but it happened. I would ask your doctor or NS if an MRI might provide answers. Perhaps, you lived with the pain for so long prior to surgery that your nerve is taking a while to settle down.

I am sending positive thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

• Hi Misty, thank you for reply. I had a discetomy within 4 weeks or original injury due to severity of numbness, weakness and extreme pain, it did wonders to solve the severe disabling pain. Now, 5 weeks later I'm surprised by the lingering and harsh ache. I'm told its the nerve but I tyell u, its hard ot believe such leg pain can come from my back!

Anyway, I'm here just to see if others can shsre similar experience to help me get through this bad time.

tks for you r nice note/