Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Goodbye exercise???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I had a spinal fusion for scoliosis in 1978.
Harrington Rod from T5-L1.

Microdiscectomy in 2005 at L5.

Will be having a lumbar fusion on Monday of next week.
L4 or L5-S1.

Are my days exercise behind me or will I be able to exercise again??

If so, what modifications would be necessary??

• Amy,
    Every case is unique and we have no crystal ball that would allow anyone to see into the future or project the measure or pace of your improvement.

Exercise inspires confidence, makes us feel good about ourselves in reaching and maintaining a projected goal, we all get to the stage when any additional mobility is painful and the key is not to let that restriction develop into a catastrophizing outlook.

That wait and see concept is never easy to do and less activity could be related to an increase of pain in the long term, it will have appositive impact on how you feel, the most vital element is pacing. Perhaps the other is desire and motivation and if you set this as a short term goal within a time scale and ease yourself into it, I have every confidence that you will succeed. If you set off too quickly you begin to believe that this is not possible, almost a slow motion pace is the best chance of success

My own failed fusion from 90 is not reflective of today’s success and given the right support and encouragement that notion of saying goodbye to exercise a thing of the past. I cannot walk far at all now, although I do cycle and this has been the road to empowering myself to an improved outlook and capacity.

Plan every day in how to reach your goal.

Good luck and keep posting… John
  • I can still excersize after 7 surgeries. I do 40 min. of PT excersizes daily. I also take a 20 min. walk several days a week. All is not lost! Don't get me wrong, I really have to push myself and it's alot of hard work! Your body will tell you how you need to modify your excersizes. There were some that my lumbar couldn't handle anymore. Walking is most important after lumbar fusion but wait until your doctor says it's okay. Good luck with surgery and let us know how you're doing.

Faith M