Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Psychotherapy - Led Meditation

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Alternative Treatments
I believe that anyone who has had to deal with chronic pain over a long period of time can always benefit from some of the non-traditional approaches.
35 years and counting of dealing with chronic pain does take its toll.
In the past 3 to 5 years I have looked at the non-traditional methods of helping me deal with this pain. This all came about from my Pain Management doctor. She was the one who directed me to Deep Tissue Massage, to Osteopathic work and recently Meditation.
Today, I had a session to learn more on how to meditate... It is the Led style of meditation vs other kinds.
It started in a quiet room and the professional started talking me into it. Deep deliberate breathing, wiping the mind of thoughts, thinking of a special place. What I thought lasted about 3 minutes, the therapist told me was over 20 minutes long!
I was so scared near the beginning. My vision could see this clinched black hand with two red eyes trying to climb up my neck. I knew that if I let it, it was going to strangle me. How/why, that thought drifted away. It was almost like every breath in, something was coming after me, and on every breath out, it was going away.
When the session was over, we talked about it. He said that was pretty intense to sense that hand with the eyes. He asked me what I thought it was... I knew immediately., it was chronic pain , the beast trying to take over me.
People that know me here, know I talk about chronic pain as being the beast.... It is, no question about it.
Now, I need to develop additional tools to beat it down.
I plan on using this Led Meditation twice a day. I really feel this along with everything else I do can help me through the darkest days.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• PapaRon, what you've described sounds fantastic. I think I'd like to try something like that, along with the DTM, but how to find someone good is a whole nother problem in itself.

I'm glad you've found something that significant. It's amazing to me how the mind works and how much control you can actually have, given the right atmosphere and circumstance.

One thing I've always done in the past (I don't remember where I learned this) is something to rid yourself of stress right before going to sleep.

As you're laying in bed in the dark preparing to sleep, you lay on your back and imagine that your brain is an attic. Laying all over the attic floor are all your stresses and worries. Also in the attic are two trunks and they are open. You imagine taking a broom and sweeping up the stresses and worries into a dust pan, but you have to decide which ones go where. One trunk is trash and will be emptied so you never think about it again. In there, you put the worries and troubles that you really have no control over and then close and lock the lid and empty it. The other trunk is for saving whatever is in it for later. You put the problems and stresses in that trunk and lock the lid, but you can always come back to that trunk later when you need to pull out the problem to deal with it.

It's odd I know, but it really can help, just like your meditation.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    total pain management. Years ago, the vital signs taken by doctors including the BP, Pulse Rate, how you are breathing.... Today, they have added a new vital sign, your pain level! That has not be distributed to all doctors, but it will be sooner than we think.
    I have found that the conventional ways in dealing with pain can get very complex. People can use other means, ie Alcohol to make them forget about their need for pain medications, then they take pain medications to forget about the pain. The underlying source is still PAIN. Its something that is real and needs to be managed. Too many people looked at pain is being this abstract thing... You can put your arms around a broken leg, a black eye, a swollen finger, but how do you put your arm around pain. What is it, where is and when does it come?
    The experience I had today with meditation was very frightening. I am happy that I came through it with the therapist and we had good talks about it... But then I drove about 45 minutes to meet my wife. I was shaking...
    Its like I saw the beast the demon, and he was coming right after me, not just in how it feels, but now he has taken on an image, that black clenched had with two red eyes. All I know was that it was coming after me and coming strong. By the time I met up with my wife, she took one look at me and knew something had happened. I broke down, because I was SCARED. But as I told my therapist, I will win, I have beaten this beast back so many times. Its just now that the physical part has been played over and over and I know what needs to be done, he has taken it to another level, the inner emotional level. The beast is not brave enough to stand right up and front of me to take me down, bu instead he works his ways into my inner thoughts.
    This will be a challenge, sometimes I think a bigger challenge then I had dealing only with physical pain.

But I remain positive....I dont need the GhostBusters, but instead I have a team of ChronicBeastBusters....
    I will win, I will come out on top.

This is just the beginning of these experiences and I have a lot to learn about meditation and how it can totally help those in pain. I've always been a firm believe in that our minds are the strongest part of us we have. We have two choices, we can let something, someone take over our minds and dictate how we live, OR we can become stronger and learn how to control our minds so that it works as our best ally.

I've learned a lot today, so much. I want to learn more about this more and more. Initially I need some catalyst to get me into the right meditation frame, but then eventually, I will be able to do it myself.

Hang on, I am going for a ride
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com