Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Right Side Back Pain After Discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi All,

First timer here and was hoping you guys had some thoughts...In March of this year I had my second L5-S1 dicectomy. I had my first in 1997 which was successful. The first was a left sided herniation but last summer I re-herniated the right side. I felt great about a month after surgery and was on my way back with the common aches and pains however, the last 3 months i have had recurring pain, somewhat different than before surgery. I am having a chronic pain on the far right of my lower back. Sudden movements, coughing and sneezing I get a nasty pain that has knocked me off my feet. When I lay down, twisting my waist to turn is really painful and feel it in the same spot. It seems like its to the far right almost near the hip about to inches toward the center of the lower back and when I press the area with some pressure I feel some pain. No real leg pain as the sciatic pain pre-surgery is gone. Occasional left sided sciatic pain in the left buttock but rare. My surgeon feels it's inflammation but I'm pressing him to do an MRI.....any advice?

• Welcome to Spine Health. Did your surgeon give you anything for the inflammation? That would certainly be a good way to evaluate as to whether or not it is inflammation causing your problems.

• Thanks for responding. Not in awhile. I was on 1.5 MG of Mobic for about two months after surgery. I went to a physical therapist a month after surgery and when he felt the area, he said that it was very warm which meant there was inflammation there but we are going on 6 months post surgery. Funny thing is it feels worse now than it did then. He said to ice it but it's been going on for a good 2-3 months now. Surgeon told me to take two Aleve for a week and see how it is....
  • Anything is possible and if you really feel that something is "not right" then what about seeking a second opinion from a different doc. If you do that, keep in mind that they will look to see whether or not you followed your current surgeons recommendation to take Aleve for a week. It takes several days for any anti-inflammatory med to really start to help.

• I just posted this message before I saw your story, you sound just like me....but i did get the MRI and blood work yesterday to rule out infection. The MRI is normal, so off to PT, and as "C" said, make sure you follow the Dr. recommendations. here is my post.

Hi All,
    I would appreciate input and comments from patients and doctors alike, anyone with this experience or knowledge.
    I am 48 yr Male, just had L5-S1 rt. postolateral discectomy and fusion (8-27-09). Previous to surgery I was experiencing left hip and sciatica pain, diagnosed Herniated L5-S1, this symptom seems to be totally gone now 7 weeks post op, but now I have constant and increased pain on my right low back and hip, cant bend without (much more) pain and this is "new" pain since my discogram. In short, right now, I feel worse than before the surgery and at the moment am regretting getting the discogram. I can only manage the pain with the NORCO codeine (2 per day) and 800mg ibuprofen (1 per day), and ambien-cr to get to sleep. I had a second MRI yesterday and doctor indicated that all was normal and is sending me to PT. I am a fairly healthy stocky fellow 38 waist,(210lbs) and admittedly some PT may strengthen me up so I will do it, but I feel that the Discogram prior to surgery did more harm than good as the right side pain started after this procedure and has not gone away, even after the surgery. I work at a desk and walk a fair amount and have lots of stairs at home so I am getting that type of exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences?
  • Wow, they had you do a discogram? I went straight from MRI which found the "virgin" side herniated as my surgeon called it to discectomy. The discogram could very well be giving you the issues. Bending forward and twisting is difficult for me as well and I'm just talking about a slight twist. I think PT is a great idea for both of us. I do need that MRI just to see if all is well.
  • Yes they did a discogram, 3 levels, L2-3, L3-4, L5-S1, results were some pain at 2-3 and definate at 5-1, so ruling was herniated 5-1, but that 2-3 production of pain was that right side...so I was thinking that was the cause of it, because I did not have that before (that I recall) or at least not this bad. Lets see what the PT does, let me know how you do.
  • Yes will do. All the best to you...keep me posted!
  • I had a herniation on the left side of the disc between L5-S1 on 11/17/13. The left sided sciatic pain was substantially relieved post surgery, but not entirely gone. I have flare ups where pain is a 7/10 and radiates to my toes. Over the past month, the frequency and intensity of all-over low back pain is worsening. The pain is mostly in the sacral region with stabbing pains in the ribs, hips and gluteal regions with movement. It takes nearly an hour if movement in the morning to loosen up enough to walk without having to hang on to railings and furniture. I plan on calling the neuro surgeon, but wanted to know if anyone has any ideas about what this debilitating condition could be caused from. Muscle relaxers and ibuprofen are not working.
    Denise Alexander
    Micro discectomy 11/17/13 / L5-S1
  • Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

It could be that you are doing too much, too soon after surgery, if your surgeon has not cleared you to resume your activities. Many times, patients are feeling so good compared to pre surgery, that they tend to resume activities too early and can wind up reinjuring themselves.
    Is the pain nerve related, stinging, burning, electric in nature, zaps and zings or is it muscular?
    When do you return to your surgeon? You may want to call the office and see about getting in sooner if the appointment is some time away.
This discussion has been closed.