Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rhizotomy yesterday -- so far, so good

rosemlanerrosemlane Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just wanted to say that I am one day post-cervical rhizotomy and am doing well. My neck and upper back are very sore but it feels topical, like it's sore from the needles. I do not believe I'm having any nerve pain -- much to my relief. It was very hard to find posts from people who had a good outcome from a cervical rhizotomy and I just wanted to say that it can happen.

The procedure itself was not one I would volunteer for, but in reality, it was no worse than having injections. I'm bruised and very tender but I understand that bigger needles are used for the rhizotomy. The "stick and burn" of the lidocaine (topical anesthetic) was the most unpleasant part and was certainly bearable.

I had to take 3 Valiums an hour prior to the procedure and it took awhile to shake that off. I have pretty strong vicodin to take if I need it but at most I have only needed half a tablet. It was uncomfortably lying in bed at night and that pain did wake me up but, again, it is pain from the needles and not nerve pain. When tested to be sure the affected nerve was being cauterized, it only felt like a thumping in my neck -- the topical did a wonderful job of pain control. If someone said I needed to have this done again in a year, I would sign right up for it. I was terrified beforehand and I had nothing to be afraid of -- I've done very well.

So, I am posting this for those who are afraid because they only see negative posts about this procedure. You've no doubt been through worse already and you can do this.

• I had a 2-week follow up appointment this morning. I have one spot on my upper back that feels kind of like it's burning and that's annoying and sometimes wakes me up at night but the NP in the doctor's office says that COULD last up to 6 weeks. It usually doesn't. I would say I was the most uncomfortable at about day 4-5 after the rhizotomy and while I've had a lot of tenderness and other complaints, no real pain. I'm very happy with the results and am hoping this lasts for a good long time.
  • Hi Rosemlane,
    Just wondering how long your ablation lasted? Any info you could give me would be great appreciated!
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • Has anyone had the neurotomy on C 1-2 or 3rd occiptical nerve?
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 12/05/2012 - 7:23 PM
    Thanks and hope you keep us updated how well you do. I hope the pain goes completely.

Do you have any bone spurs and if so any issues getting aroung them? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN