Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

not sure what to do

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
As some of you know I was denied by my primary insurance an ACDF until I spend 8 weeks of PT.

Since Monday I have been experiencing pretty weird feelings. Primarily I have gone from intermitten buzzing/vibrating feeling in my hands to around the clock buzzing/vibrating of the hands. I also started getting a feeling of ice cold water running down my arms- it only lasted a few minutes while I was washing dishes at the sink (had a similar feeling with my legs before my PLIF).

My right hand feels as if there is a super tight glove cutting off teh circulation and my left hand really doesn't want to do much at all. I can use the arm, but the motor skills are very slow.

What constitutes an ER visit with the neck?

My pain is not a 10, although I did have frequent bouts of tears yesterday partially due to discomfort.

I remember with the Lumbar we should go if we lost control of the bowels, but is there any guidelines for the neck?

• If you don't feel comfortable going to the ER, definitely get in to see your doctor right away. Do they have a 24 hour call sevice? Even if you're not experienceing "bad" enough pain, there's definitely something that isn't right, which could lead to permanent nerve damage. Any changes should be brought to your doctor's attention immediately, especially since you've already been diagnosed as a surgical candidate.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • The neck is a funny thing. I had my face go numb and had to go to the ER. My upper back was hurting so bad they had to give me drugs to numb me so they could do a Cat scan. I couldn't lay down.They thought I was having a stroke.

My husband and I researched and found later that a numb face can be caused by the degree of issues I was having with my neck.

I never had what you're describing but I'd talk to my doctor if it was me.

Sorry your insurance is being so picky.
  • I will call the nurse in the morning and ask for advise. Really the pain isn't that bad (peaks at about 7-8 but stays mostly steady about 3-5) but I did have a couple of zaps earlier in the week that took me to my knees. I can not splay my hands open very much either. It is the falling asleepness & burning discomfort that has me worried.

I did get signed up for PT today but I don't see anyone for my evaluation until next Friday.

I am using ice again tonight. My boss told me to get my work done early and take a half day tomorrow so that will help a little.

Peace my Spiney Friends :O)

• Just a thought after letting the Doctor know about the frequency of pain and numbness and vibrating to your arms ask him to call the insurance company. Maybe he can persuade them that it's necessary you have the surgery with so many symptoms like you're having. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN