Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

unexplained pain and pain clinc

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Management
In June I hurt my back moving some heavy concrete planters for my wife. Since then I have had an MRI (no spinal problems according to it), seen a Chiropractor, Physical Therapy, Spine Clinic, had an SI injection, been on steroids, hydrocodone, oxycodone, tramadol, gabapentin, zanaflex, flexeril, and three other types of prescription anti-inflamatories, all at one point or another. I also take 800mg of ibuprofin 4 times a day. My Primary care Dr. has now referred me to a Pain Management clinic. I have an appointment next week. She has refused to prescribe any new medications for now. I am currently down to the ibuprofin. Pain is a 4-5 most of the time, toward the end of the day moves to 6-7, and at times hits 8-9. Sitting or sleeping on my left side creates the most issues. Same spot the entire time, lower left belt line, radiates deep into my rearend most of the time. Frankly, I would kiss the doctor who could just numb the son of a gun permanently. I have never experienced something like this and am very frustrated. Tired of hurting. Any experience with what to expect at the Pain Management clinic or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Norm, I'm not a Doctor, but it sounds like a problem with the SI Joint. A good sports medicine physical therapist might be able to get things back on track if that is the problem.

• be an annular tear. The pain that you are experiencing sounds very similar to mine in the beginning. A Pain Management doc may be just what you need. I suffered for 2 years before finally being sent to a PM doc. He is the one that was able to diagnose and help me. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Thanks Dave. Had an SI injection about 2 months ago, didn't do much. I'm fairly confident that this new pain mgmt doc will probably try the physical therapy again, which is fine. Hell, I'd try anything right now. Already seems like I've tried EVERYTHING!
  • Thanks J.J., never had heard of it so I googled it. Might ask the pain mgmt doc if it's possible. He should have the MRI ask he works in the hospital where it was taken, but according to what I read, it may not show up on a MRI. Which would make sense. Just want it to quit hurting, and a very frustrating part of this is not knowing why it is!
  • I had like you gone through every test and injection possible trying to find the source of my pain. I finally went to a Spine CLinic in MPLS, MN and they suggested that I have a discogram because not all anular tears show up. They were right, I had 3 tears, and it took 2 1/2 years to find them. They are very painful, lg or small. Good Luck. The discogram,is painful. It is the gold standard for surgeons to find out which disc is painful. Hope this helps. If I can help, please let me know.
  • can definitely relate to what you are going through. When pain this severe hits you all that you want is an explanation and a quick fix. I was in so much pain in the beginning that I thought the docs that I was seeing must be incompetent since nothing showed on the MRIs and I knew that something was majorly wrong. But. it was explaimed to me that unless it is something horrible it probably will not show on an MRI. I know how frustrating it is going through injections and what seems like everything under the sun to no avail. Don't get discouraged though. Those injections can be diagnostic in nature. Some things can show up on an MRI that will not cause most folks pain but it could cause you pain. Therefore by doing injections and the like if any of them actually help your pain it will show what area is actually causing your pain. I hope that makes sense. My annular tears were diagnosed with a discogram. It is very useful in diagnosing a painful disc. The procedure is painful if the disc is the culprit. If the disc is not the issue there will be very little pain involved. Patience is something that you must have in this process. It is very difficult but very necessary. Spinal problems is one of the most difficult problems that there is to diagnose. I hope that you get some answers and relief soon. Please keep us posted.
  • went to the appt today, they were wonderful, scheduled for a epidural steroid injection tomorrow, dr said could be L5-S1?? bulging a little, perhaps leaking a little, this could help. Also filled a month of Hydrocodone and Zanaflex for me until we see if this works. 2 hour appt where they seemed to listen to all I had to tell them. Exactly how painful are these injections? Anyone know? Wish me luck!
  • They're a piece of cake. Just a little prick, pressure, and maybe some discomfort for a minute, then its all over with. Good Luck.

• Dave is correct....actually nothing to them. I believe you have to have 3 of them. I could be mistaken about that.
    Best of luck and lets hope they do the trick.
    Patsy W :H
  • L5-S1 is just what I was thinking reading your posts.

The but pain was where I hurt at the worst in the beginning of my injuries to my L5-S1.

Please take it easy!

Do not be the tough guy/girl that I was. I only created a LOT more damage to myself by being "tough".

Also please keep us updated how you are doing :)

Blessings! ♥
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Just a quick update, had the epidural steroid shot on 4 days ago, funny how once in awhile I'm painfree for a short period. But I have also had some fairly painful moments since then too. If only those painfree moments lasted longer! I guess I can't hope for miracles, have another shot scheduled for Nov. 17th. But I'm fairly certain he hit the spot on the nose with the needle. Left leg was on fire for the better part of a day. I will keep you updated and thanks for all the advice you have given!