Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 level fusion & decompression dec 30th 2009.

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
dr wants to do a 4 level fusion and decompression dec 30th 2009.this well be my last surgery so hope it will work.my pain dr said i have FBS and no surgery will work for me.my low back hurts all the time never lets up.pain always around a 6 to and 8.also my neck hurts most of the time but dr wants to do my back first.anyone ever here of putting a rod from l2 to s1 then two bars one on each side of the scrtum for stablizing.....

• Have you tried dilaudid? Not positive of the spelling. I've taken tons of hydrocodone. Have always found dilaudid affective for breakthrough pain. I used to go to the emergency room when things got really bad to get a shot of it.

I'm about as far from a trustworthy trained medical source as you can get but am just relating something that has helped me. The trick is getting doc to dispense it when needed. They seem to guard it like it was gold from their personal vault.
  • i think i will ask my pain dr about dilaudid.have been taking hydro for years.i have tried morphine and methadone before but didn;t agree with me.
  • There are several people on the board that have had that many levels fused. While it is not common, it is also not that unusual. Hopefully they will see your post and respond with their experiences.

Have you consulted with more than one surgeon on this? As you stated, it is a BIG surgery and you will want to know that this is truly the only option left for you. Also, since it is a complicated surgery, you might want to go to someone who specializes in spinal reconstruction surgeries, or surgery after "failed back surgery syndrome." Also, scoliosis surgeons are used to working with this many levels and do it routinely. Be sure you are going to a fellowship-trained spinal surgeon -- (if you're in the U.S.). This could be either an orthopedic spinal surgeon or a neurosurgeon who has fellowship training in the spine and who devotes his practice to issues of the back and neck. This is especially important in a complicated case such as yours.

Good luck. I hope you find a medication that helps you as you await your surgical date.

• both my opinions came from neuros.the one that did my last surgery does back,neck and brain.you got me thinking will find out if they are fellowship.thanks....
  • I had L3-S1 done last November. I have a rod on each side of my spine and they are screwed into the vertebrae. Then I have metal dowels filled with cadaver bone and they spackled it all in with bone morphogenetic protein mixed with my own bone marrow. I'm pretty well fused, but that's not to say I'm comfortable. Am I better than I was before surgery? Yes. I know longer need to hand onto the wall when I walk. I don't gasp (or half-scream) in pain every 30 seconds because I move the wrong way and get a major jolt of pain. You need to realize that you will end up feeling like you have been nailed to a board. Moving is not easy after this type of fusion, but with the proper amount of PT you will learn to live with it. I still take oxycodone for pain several times a week. I generally don't need it every day, but living with a very serious condition like this is not going to be easy. Best of luck to you.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I'm 6 weeks po from my surgery. Yes it's a very big surgery, but everyone heals at different rates. I still have aches and pains, upper thighs and low back, but I walk 3 blocks every day, keep active on my feet as much as possible. I was walking with a cane mainly for security reasons. Just in case I would stumble 2 weeks po. I'm on nothing but 5mg of percocet as needed. Your going to have a lot of time on mind to dwell on pain, but I found out that if you get your mind into the positives you'll heal a lot faster. Hope this helps, Best of luck to you. Kevin
  • Keeping your mind focused and occupied, as well as staying on the lighter side of things is key. Chronic pain, as well as recovery from these HUGE sugeries we all have around here can drag you down into some dark places if you let it. I know from personal experience that you need to keep frustration, fatigue, depression and yes, constipation constantly at bay. Now having said that, I know how hard of a task that is, forcing oneself to be disciplined and on some sort of daily routine requires constant effort. Like any life struggle, loosing weight, paying debt, quitting smoking its a long journey. I am amazed at the strength I see in this board from so many of you, I love being able to come here during my day, your struggles are my struggles.
    Hope all goes well today in spiney land.
  • boy today my back really hurts,meds are not working at all.thanks for replying.dec 30th seems so far away right now.i go to the pain dr nov 3rd to get a shot for my neck.wanted to ask are the rods on both sides of your spine?
  • All I can say is i have rods on both sides of my spine.