Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Good morning All,

I am a 41 year male suffering from recurrent bouts of lower back pain. This has been going on now for approx 9 years. At the moment I have been off work for 3 weeks under the instruction of my Doctor. Prescribed various pain relief Diazapam, Tramadol etc which I am reluctant to take because of the various scare stories ref side effects. Under the treatment of physio and been referred to for scan.

What is worrying me is that I will have to just bear with this and accept that every year I will have to suffer my usual attack of pain. Also when my scan appointment arrives if I then have no pain is it still worth carrying out the scan? Will anything show up?

I live in Wigan Manchester England and the weather is always wet and damp which I suppose does not help!!!

Any advice appreciated

Love to all

• It's rough you're having some problems with your back now. I think if you're not having pain during the scan I'm sure whatever is the problem would show up at that moment. I would encourage you to continue the meds you're Dr. ordered as one is a muscle relaxant. I was on Diazepam for 9 months a few years ago and had no problems getting off of it once my whiplash had healed. Take care and keep us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Much appreciated advice. Have to go to Docs today to pick up Consultant referral letter. All being good I should be able to book an appointment for a scan which will hopefully explain why for the last nine years my back has been giving me problems.

Once again good

• I think that you should go ahead with the scan whether the pain is present or not. If there is a serious problem it will show up. However please be prepared for the fact that scans don't always show what the problem is. Many of the members here including myself went through many years and mant different tests before finally getting a diagnosis. Good luck to you and please keep us posted with your progress.
This discussion has been closed.