Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going on 4 months.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
i am a female 18 years old and i have had extreme back pain for going on 4 months now. ive seen my family practice dr. he had xrays taken and they came back clear. he gave me an NSAID pain reliever to take for 10 days but it didnt even touch the pain. i am now seeing a physical therapist an am working on strenthing the muscles along with getting muscles massages from her to release some of the tension. i have been going to physical therapy for almost a month now and have seen some but little improvment. i am a college student and sitting in class in unbearable, when i get up from my seat i have to walk slowly and hunched over slightly. if i am in one position sitting standing or laying down for more than around 15-20 minutes i have stiffness and pain. its weird because i have more pain on my right side and on my spine near the arch of my back than i do on my left ( also some hip pain) i cant go on in pain anymore and am making an appt with an orthopedic surgeon. does anyone have any ideas to what could be going on?

i have had a fasiotomoy on both legs for compartment sydrome mrsa in my knee and was treated for a discoide lateral meniscus also in my knee, relation?

• It is really hard to say since it could really be so many things. The thing that you posted that I picked up on is the sitting and getting up bent over stiffness hard to straighten up. I have arthritis in my facet joints and what you describe are the symptoms. I will get stuck in a bent position on occassion and it is very hard for me to sit for more than 45 minutes to 1 hour. A doctor that specializes in the spine would be a great one to see at this point. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • the more i read the more im thinking it could possibly be lumbar DDD, im still in physical therapy so im hoping to more improvment from that. meeting with my ortho in a few weeks and getting an mri, thanks for you help :)
  • I do not have a clue but just want to say the best of luck to you and hope you find help soon. Please keep us updated.
    Patsy W :H
  • The orthopedist will most likely order an MRI which will hopefully hold the answer and open up the door to some treatment options. It sounds like either facet joint pain or discogenic pain as others have suggested, but without more detailed imaging there is no way to know.

I was unfortunately in a very similar situation (I'm in my early twenties, and I spent my junior and senior year of college standing in the back of my classes because I was unable to sit), and my one piece of advice is just make sure that your doctor does not dismiss you because you are young and female. I cannot tell you how many times I heard "well, you're young and healthy, so you'll just get over this." My heart goes out to you, and I hope you'll post an update on what you find out. Good luck, hang in there, and hopefully you'll get an answer :)

This discussion has been closed.