Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta withdrawal sx's + my hips have PTSD!!!

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
Does pain ever end :''( I am in the process of withdrawal from Cymbalta, down from 60mg a day to 30mg a day. Having all the typical withdrawal sx's. Dumb me, I thought I was getting the flue. This morning a light bulb went off X( and I realized I was feeling ill from the withdrawal. I thought by reducing slowly, I wouldn't get sx's. Wrong!! Anybody have any tips on how to manage these sx"s? Along with that, my nerve pain is flaring up too. AND, got the results of the hip and pelvis x-rays I had done a week ago. It says my hips had posttraumatic fragmentation on the greater tochanter with cortical whiskering on both hips, along with degenerative changes of the public symphis. After sitting or driving for awhile, I get out and just about go to my knees with groin pain. WTF!!! So now what? I don't think they can fuse the whole middle section of my body =)) It rained all day yesterday, and I was in agony. I very seldom say my pain levels were 8-9, but mine were 10 last night. Just crawled into bed with electric blanket on and moaned. Going to ER wouldn't have gained anything . Oh well, sun is shining today, have to try to get something done so I can go to work next week.

• Hi Maggie,

Reducing from 60 - 30mg/day seems pretty drastic! You don't say what you're taking Cymbalta for - however the following is recommended:-

' When discontinuing treatment with Cymbalta, the manufacturer recommends a gradual reduction in the dose, rather than abrupt cessation, whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate. The use a liquid form of the drug may facilitate more gradual tapering. '

The reduction schedule for Baclofen for example, is 5mg/week (starting dose: 30mg/day). It may be a good idea to let your doctor know you're having these problems.

Bye, Val

PS You might find the following site useful:-

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    It took me a very long time to withdraw. 60 mg. to 30 mg. is fast in my oppinion. When I was going down I went very slowly. You could ask your p.m. Dr. to prescribe 2-30mg. caps. and take 1 and 1 apart and sprinkle half of it on applesauce to make it 45 mg. cymbalta also makes a 20 mg. capsule. I just did the math to go down 10 mg. at a time and cut down one time every two weeks until I was on 10 mg. a day. Then my p.m. Dr. suggested using 10 mg. of Prozac when I completely quit the cymbalta. The prozac gave me insomnia. So Doc. told me I must have a very sensitive system and to take the prozac every other day. Now I did all of this with his approval and guidance. And it worked for me.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Can be a bear to withdraw from, when it works it often works great, but when it doesn't...
    go to the website listed above and then go very slowly, what I would do would be go back to 60 and then figure out how you want to slowly cut back. Some people count it out grain by grain.

I don't try to post comments on meds, but Cymbalta is one med that FOR ME is a drug I will NEVER attempt again. I tried it twice, the second time the W/D's lasted longer then I took it!

Benedryl was a big help for me, others say it helps them to.

Does your doctor realize what you are doing? You should be working with him. Some health care professionals simply don't seem to believe how rough Cymbalta can be to stop.
  • went through the horrible withdraw from this stuff about the same time. I would not wish that feeling on anyone. Hang in there and try to go very slowy. I also started Prozac and it did seem to help with the withdrawal. I hope that you feel better soon.
  • Hi,

About 2 months ago I had to come off Cymbalta cold turkey (went from 30 mg to 0 mg) after an anaphylactic reaction. The withdrawal was extremely hard, but just in case for some reason your doc does not want to make the decrease more gradual here is what I did to survive the wicked withdrawal symptoms:

1) I was prescribed klonopin to decrease the withdrawal symptoms. It really helped with nausea and the general sick feeling.

2) I had a really bad shocking sensation every time I moved my head, and the only thing that helped with that was just minimizing head motion. This was by far the most disturbing and scary symptom because it was bizzare, so just know that it will eventually go away.

My symptoms lasted 4-5 weeks. I thought it would never end, but I did eventually normalize. Hang in there. Hopefully your doc will slow the taper down, but if not hang in there and just know that eventually your body will adapt.
  • Hello Maggie,

I slowly weaned off of cymbalta last summer. I also opened a 60 mg capsule and tapered that before I went to a 30 mg. I still felt lousey (and my boss didn't or wouldn't try to understand either)
    It is difficult to do. If you're out of the 60 mg., see if you can get some free samples of the 30 mg so you can taper more slowly. (Take a 30 and the open up another 30 to divide the capsule etc.)

Take care,

• I weaned myself from Lyrica and Tramadol at the same time and it was tough even with tapering down. My PCP gave me something to help me with the nausea (the worst part in my opinion) and also 30 Lunesta to help with sleep. I had to be careful because I was working and didn't want anyone to know what was going on. It took me approx. a month to feel normal again. As everyone said, hang in there. You will get through it. Each day you should feel a little better.
  • After reading the first few of these last night, I went to the website mentioned. Some of the posts were still there, but it seems to be inactive now. So last night I fished my 60's out of the trash can, emptied a capsule and counted them =)) What a farce. The little beads roll all over!. So then I figured out how many to make another 10mg along with the 30mg dose. Thought I would see how that was. I slept much better last night, still the night sweats, but don't remember having any nightmares. I have Fenergan at home, so I take that for the naseau. Still have the headache, but not so severly. I think I can cope with the 40mg for now. Will do that for a week or so, then down another 10, etc. Of course since it was perscribed for nerve pain, without it my nerve pain is increasing. The cold and rain don't help.

Thank you all so much for the replies, I really appreciate them.

When I quit the cymbalta my nerve pain did increase. And I told the P.m.Dr., he increased my pain meds. Some times the benifits don't outwiegh the risks. Or side effects.No way, could you count the little buggers. =)) It's guess work! #:S
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Oh yes I did! :))( It was quite challenging, as my hands were shaking, and they would really roll around. I put them in piles of 10, it took a long time :D . Not too bad this am, how are you doing?

• Yeah, I know people who have counted out the little grains, too, @) for Effexor -- another bad one to get off of. Don't you love it how docs so casually tell you "well, you could try this..." and never mention that the withdrawal can be downright beastly.

Hang in there. You'll get there -- we're having really lousy gray, cold and damp weather too and anyone with body pain seems to be complaining. I'm sorry you are suffering in many ways.

I hope you will be able to feel better soon.

I was doing good. But after the laugh you gave me, I'm doing great! I'm trying to picture that in my mind. At the same time my wife's asking me a question. And now shes' laughing at me!
    Laughter is GOOD!..... Thank you :))(
  • all i can say is hang in there. i had a very severe withdrawal.went from 30mg to none.it did take 6 weeks to be rid of the withdrawal symptoms and the first 10-12 days was the worst. everytime i see the commercials i get so angry.they push it llke mad. it did help with the pain,but the insomnia was unbearable so i had to come off it.also made me very agitated and didn't really do a good job with the depression piece. i was very weepy. there is a website i use to look up drugs you may find helpful. they also post "user reviews" on all the drugs.i wish i had seen that before i went on cymbalta,cuz i would never have gone on it in the first place. good luck!!
  • You are doing better at 40.
    The hardest part of some of these drug withdrawals is having the patience to take it slow. I was off and on narcotics 2-3 times after my accident. The first couple of times I just took my normal dose till it was gone and suffered. Nasty but manageable. about time 3 I figured out this was not a great idea, so I learned.

The last time I stopped my Norco 10/325's I went from 6 a day down to zero, took me about a month to 5 weeks, but when I was done, I was done, I noticed almost nothing.

Cymbalta, is one of the few drugs I will not ever take again and I know it works great for some people, but if you need to stop it, oh it can be nasty. I'd rather stop a narcotic then Cymbalta!
This discussion has been closed.