Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Interesting** pain relief from antidepressant

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
I joined this forum about a week ago due to a recent diagnosis of pars defefect and degenerative'spondy'(II) between L5 and S1, and of course sciatica down the leg and foot. The comments from everyoen have been very helpful. The worst part of the pain is that you begin to feel as if you will never get away from it. I wanted to post that I am FINALLY experiencing true relief after a mild dose of and antidepressent. Has anyone else experienced this at all? I had heard about the antideppressants helping with pain, but was seriously skeptical. So, while I'm working through the PT and getting 'ready' for surgery ( I finally found a surgeon after much good advice) , I can at least get a break from the constant nagging pain. Hope everyone else finds something that works for them too.

• There are some antidepressants that will help with nerve pain such as Cymbalta. I am curious as to which one you are taking?
  • I took Desipramine for arm pain a few yrs. ago & it worked great! I wonder if it would work for my sciatica????
  • I have lumbar scar tissue on the L5 and on the S1. I read a post on here afew weeks ago in regards to taking Neurotin, and nortriptyline for nerve pain. I went to my new physiatrist this week, and discussed this combo of drugs. He told me that he's been prescribing this comb for years.
    He asked me afew questions, 1 being if I had trouble sleeping. I do, so instead of nortriptyline, he prescibed amitriptyline, which makes you drowsy. Both drugs are tricyclins, and works the same. These are anti-depressants, but are not very good for that, but better for nerve pain.
    Since starting to take amitriptyline with my curtain does of neurotin, my leg pain was dropped a lot. I haven't been woken up with that burning sensation in my legs, which I usualy get 2-4 times a week. This has helped me so much. I haven't felt this much relief in years. It's scarey!!!! I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall, but I'll take what I can get.
    I hope this helps, but this is just my experience with these drugs,
    Bobbi Jo
  • sasha I would like to know the med your taking so I too can do some research on it - please share :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • That's great the antidepressant is working for you. My brother who had a fusion for his shattered spine 25 years ago is now taking amitriptyline and he says it's helping with his leg pain. I take Cymbalta also an antidepressant and it's helped though not 100% for my leg and foot pain. I would be interested to hear which medication you're taking. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN