Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

temporary handicapped parking after ACDF?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm curious if people have received handicapped parking permits after having their surgeries. My family seems to think I qualify for a handicapped parking permit since I am recovering from surgery and my neck movement is impaired. What do you think?

• I think the qualifying factors depend on the state in which you live. Where I live, your ability to walk has to be impaired or limited...and the specifics are clearly spelled out.

Just look online at your state's DMV website to see what are the requirements.
  • If mental ability to walk was the criteria the Walmart parking lot would be all handicap parking - lmao!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist. I am so sick of people who can't walk 10 yards without doing something stupid.

• Have you asked your surgeon about the permit? I actually asked my primary care doctor several months before I had surgery, but my leg and foot were affected by my C spine as well as being affected by my L spine. Just ask.

I agree with Paul, and wish I didn't need this permit.

• I was able to get one a few years ago because of having two bad knees. I pulled up requsition on line from RMV, my orhto filled it out in within a few weeks I had it. When you get it you will be amazed at how many people have it , try finding a parking space for hani cap is not easy. there are sooooo many of us out there. Good Luck
  • I Just had 2 level fusion done on my neck last Monday. although I have suffered no loss of strength below the neck and can walk just as far as I could before I had the surgery I got one through my NS to prevent falls when walking icy lots in the winter. I plan to use the placard this winter only. When my neck has healed and fused properly I will no longer use it. My NS as well as my P M thought this was a smart thing to do. (insurance)
  • Hi all,

After having to walk a distance to my first appt post laminectomy/decompression and fusion, I asked my surgeon for one, and I got the paperwork in a flash!
    It expires in Feb 2010 which can be the worst part of winter in Indiana. I am so afraid of falling in an icy parking lot or parking garage I won't hesitate asking him for another one. We'll just have to see.

• Since my walking isn't impaired I think I can do without a permit.

Maybe I can buy a new car with a backup camera - or a more practical option is buying some additional mirrors :)

- Margaret
  • I live in Southern California so I'm grateful I don't have to worry about walking on icy ground! Since I can walk fine, I don't think I need a permit after all.

I hope your recovery goes well!