Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

short tem disability question

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Does anyone know on average how long you can be on short term disability?
Does this depend on the company you work for?
Anyone have an idea of the average length?

• It depends on the policy that your company has. Some last for 6 months and then turn into Long Term Disability and some companies only offer short term for a year or so no long term available. You should check with your human resources dept to find out for sure.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The most common policy is one that lasts a maximum of 6 months. But it does vary by which employer you work for. When working in that industry I had some customers that had 90 days max of STD before LTD would begin all the way to 52 weeks max of STD. In either case you are only entitled to benefits as long as you are disabled and this must be proven through medical records (not just a physician statement but records to show treatment, treatment plan, response, etc).

If you think you will be going out on disability go ahead and make sure you get copies of the STD and LTD policies before you do so (if you can). You can usually get these from your HR or Benefits Department. Or if your employer has benefits on-line the plan documents are often on the HR or Benefits site hosted by the employer.

Not every employer offers STD and LTD so you'd have to check to see which are offered.

There are some states that have mandatory STD that is administered by the state or an assigned third party administrator. Those states are NJ, NY, CA, RI, and PR. In those states sometimes employers offer supplemental plans.

If you have any other questions let me know.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I should also add.....I was on STD and am now on LTD beginning 10/25/09. I had a 6 week gap between STD and LTD based on they way my company structures the benefits (I had used benefits the year before and we get a max of 26 weeks in any 52 week period. So since I used 6 weeks last year I only had 20 weeks available this year). Luckily they paid out my vacation pay (3 weeks) so it made the gap more tolerable.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I was on Short term disability for 12 weeks before I had to go on Government benefits for 15 weeks and then Long term through my work. I agree to talk to your Human Resources dept. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN