Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 microdiscectomy at a young age

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This is my 3rd time having sciatic pains. it's been nearly 2 month and i have a L4/L5 microdiscectomy in two weeks. The pain was to the point I could not walk, sit still, stay still or sleep. I even had to withdraw from a semester in college. Right now, The pain is tolerable, but i still have a hard time sleeping. I'm scared to death about having this surgery, but I kind of want to have it even though i'm a little better because I'm probably going to have sciatic pain again. is that a bad idea? I'm only 18 years old and want to know what it was like after surgery. my doctor said that younger people heal faster and i also wanted to if anyone had this at a young age.

• an endoscopic microD but I was 45 at the time. My recovery was rough but I think that your doc is correct in telling you that younger folks do seem to heal faster and deal with recovery much better. I will not share my experience with you as it would not be like comparing apples to apples. Hopefully someone younger will come along and share their experience. Just remember that everyone is totally different so waht hold true for another member regardless of their age may not hold true for you. It seems as if you are doing the right thing by learning as much as you can before the surgery. The one piece of advice that I will offer is to get a second opinion. I always feel better making a decision when I have more than just 1 docs opinion. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    At age 20 I had a fusion of L5-S1. The recovery was quite easy and I will say that it was likely due to my age at the time. Recovery seems to get harder the older I get!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Surgery was a piece of cake compared to the sciatic pain
  • but my microdiscectomy was a piece of cake. I felt better right away after the surgery. The pain in my legs was greatly relieved. I did have a bit of soreness for a few days after surgery (in my back) but it went away quickly and I felt great. I hope the same is true for you and that the relief lasts until you're very old!!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hello!
    I had a L4/L5 Microdiscectomy 2 weeks after my 13th birthday. I was at a point where my leg just would not function. I could not lift it, it was extremely numb and tingly, and my foot would just kind fo drag when I walked. Not to mention, it hurt like crazy.

I would have to say I wasn't very scared about the surgery, even though it was my first one. After the surgery my leg and foot felt much relief, but I still had some pain in my hips and down my leg. Most of the numbness went away, but I still can't really feel when something is touching it. I can now stand on my heals and toes and walk around.

I have had to gone back due to a pain increase at times, but physical therapy has helped with most of my problems.

I think I had a pretty severe case, because I found out about my disc, and then litterally 3 days later I was in surgery, I also think I was really young to have that surgery done. I don't know if it matters that I was still growing, but I think when I hit some growth spurts that cause some of the pain issues after surgery.

I hope this helped!