Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Day Post Op L5-S1 Fusion

urluckypennyuurluckypenny Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
just wanted to check in and let the forum know im home after surgery and a 6 day stay in hospital.

• Glad your home. All I wanted to do after surgery was to be home. Ya doing ok? How far ya walking?
  • I hope you are doing well. Please let us know as soon as you are up to it.
    God Bless and Heal you,
  • you're home! I remember that I could not wait to get out of the hospital. I hope you're able to move around a bit on your own and that you'll be feeling better soon. It takes a while, so take it easy and rest while you can.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Congrats! I am home as well and had procedure done 6 days ago! Am walking around the house about 20 minutes at a time... Still use a walker most of the time.. Back does hurt but it is nothing like while I was in the hospital.. I am just praying things keep getting better.. Keep working hard, and REST!
  • Well Saturday when I got out of hospital was a good day! Got home have been walking around the house about 20 minutes at the time then I would set in my chair about 20 minutes. Found out today that was too much on the first day home after the long drive home. Today I've been swollen allot and in bed all day.

Got 23 staples so the incision is starting to heal and pull tight with the swelling, so that's reallly hurting alot. Plus had to come home with a cathedore for a week! Thursaday they took it out but after 1030 hours still hadn't urinated so they had to do a in and out cathedore to relieve the pressure. Then after 3 more hours still hadn't so doc ordered anotther permanent one in until my urologistists sees me next Monday.

So that delayed me getting out on Thursday, then Thursday night I was up trying to urinate and my heart rate shot up to 138 and about fainted. So those two things keep me in for two extra days.

Any advise on your first few days after arriving home?
  • On getting through it and getting home anyway! Sorry to hear about the urinary problems. My surgery is this Thursday and I know the thought of the whole cathedore thing bothers me. Will be sure and include you in prayer this evening.

Anyhow good luck on healing and be good to yourself!

- Bob
  • So glad you are home and ready for recovery. How it the pain level in your back? Good luck with your Dr. on Monday. I know that after my c-sectioon I had to turn the shower on and the faucet before I could relax my bladder enough to go pee. I think because it gets moved around and is trying to protect myself. Thinking of you.
  • I had no problem peeing however do have a problem going #2... Anyone else have this problem??
  • So glad you made it, how are you? I bet home feels soooooo good!! Take it easy and get lots of rest. I remember my first week home, I was so glad to see my boys and my own bed, although, I ended up playing musical beds trying to get comfortable! We paid $2000.00 for a tempurpedic mattress and I just hate it, I can't stay comfortable on it. I wish you lots of sleep and take it one day at a time. Keep us posted!!
  • Make sure when you get home you are NOT sitting more than 15 minutes at a time. My Dr said only to eat and pee. It puts stress on back and makes it hurt worse. Maybe a hospital bed rental isn't a bad idea for anyone with fusion. The rails help you to roll in and out of bed. Just rest rest and then rest some more, and walk, to the kitchen and back and the bathroom and back. Whatever u feel like. Just BABY steps in everything. Lots of baby walks at first are better than a couple of bigger walks. Keep ahead of pain, or it keeps you up. I got nothing else, real earthshaking.

Mark, Hows the problem coming. If not good, fleet enemas and stool softeners. I am on narcotics and my daily regimen is 1 senna-s, (generic) and 2-3 stool softeners each day. If after 2 days I dont go, I up the senna-s to 2. Drink lots of water, eat fiber till you cant stand it until you figure out what works for you. Hydrate yourself as much as you can, and remember caffeine in coffee and pop will dehydrate you only adding to the problem. Good Luck. I remember how hard it is trying to get it under control(?) maybe regulated is a better word. Your pharmacist is a good friend to help you with this problem as well. Hope this makes sense to you. Good Luck.