Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C5 C6 4 Days After Surgery

cha0s13ccha0s13 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi guys, Im so glad I found this forum, I dont feel so alone anymore. Just wanted to give you guys an update. I had been suffering from severe pain in my left shoulder, bicep, tricep, forearm, and hand for almost three moths. I finally had an Mri and saw a neuro surgeon who suggested I get an ACDF c5-c6. Well I just had the surgery on Thurs, and 3 days later I feel SO much better, My throat is super sore and stiff, but all the pain in my left arm is completely gone. Im so glad I had the surgery, because initially, i was so friggin scared i almost cancelled the surgery. I hope the recovery doesnt take to long. I get so depressed not being able to do much and just lying around the house. Just wanted to share this with you guys and ill keep you updated on the recovery.. Thanks...................Chris

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm glad to hear that you're past the surgery and on to recovery. It really is scary to think about the surgery, but when you get home afterwards, it's one of the best feeling in the world, isn't it?

Take care and keep us posted on your recovery milestones.

• Thanks Cath... Yes im definately glad the surgery part is over. Now at least I know im on a time frame of getting better, instead of wondering if Ill ever get better. :)Ill definately keep ya posted, my follow up visit is on Nov.3 which is a Tues. Hey any idea on how long it takes for the incision to heal?
  • I had C5-C6 fused also; 1998, and it took me about 3 months to get back to work; was in the miami j collar then cloth-foam collar 6 months. but, exercise wise stepped right up with 3 miles per day walking/near running, treadmill & floor exercises. You'll get there! be patient w/your body & good luck!!:)
  • ...and it took me 4 months to completely fuse. I was back to work (desk job) in 6 weeks. My incision healed within 4 weeks, but of course there's a scar now. After 4 months I was taken off all restrictions for activity. It's now been 7 months and I'm able to do everything I did before surgery -- in fact I carried and stacked a cord of wood yesterday!

I only wore a soft collar for about 1-1/2 weeks and then "as needed", which wasn't much.

Walking is the key... you'll feel much better afterwards!

Good luck on the recovery, and I'm glad things turned out so well!
  • Im a little nervous because I feel dizzy at times. Anyone else experience this. Its kind of a light headed somewhat dizzy feeling.
  • cha0s13 said:
    Im a little nervous because I feel dizzy at times. Anyone else experience this. Its kind of a light headed somewhat dizzy feeling.
    I only experience this when my wife uses the fry pan on me (just jokeing) I myself have had no light headed or dizzy feelings at all post surgery
  • hi chris ihad the same surgery as you on 21st sept 09 and am doin ok not totally pain free but ok ive been back at work for 5 weeks now and im doing fine,
    ive just had my first mri since surgery and am waitin for the results, my surgeon thinks i may need the back of my neck doing to but i hope not,
    i think the biggest hurdle to get over is the fear of hurting yourself after the surgery but my n/s said im not to worry that would'nt happen (he seemed very sure about that)anyway i hope you get well soon and make sure
    you have your walks (very important) take care wayne
  • Be careful. I had a 2-level ACDF, which is more intensive than 1 ACDF, but I felt pretty good the first few weeks until I started into PT and handling my little baby girl. My advice is not to fall into a false sense of security like I have on a couple of occassions. Good to hear you're doing well but please cede my advise.