Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new symtoms after 2 level lumbar fusion

lizzyboollizzyboo Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, I have a question. So I had a two level lumbar fusion at L3-5 and bone spurs removed at L5-S1 on June 30th. My leg pain prior to surgery was mostly from the knees up and especially in my hips. After surgery, my leg pain was sooo much better, however, my back pain was 1000 times worse, and continues to be. I am having a lot of difficulty with my back pain. Some mornings it takes me about a half hour just to stand up straight. Anyways as of my 3 month post op, i still wasn't completely fused. As of more recently I have begun experiencing some numbness and tingling in both of my legs from the knees down to the tops of my feet and into my toes. Has anyone experienced this? I did start therapy a few weeks ago, so I don't know if perhaps this is just part of the healing process or what, but it is starting to kinda get me worried. I told my doctor about it when i was in, and he just said this wasn't an exact science and that it can take up to a year to really determine the full extent of the success of the surgery. I am still not back to work, but I am gong to try to go back in December part-time doing contract work. Also, is there anyone out there who has had a two level fusion, who is still suffering from extreme back pain? I tell you it is just unrelenting despite taking oxycontin, norco, valium and baclofen and my pain clinic nurse wants me to start weaning off the meds perhaps starting next month. Ugh. I guess I am just frustrated and needing to vent. I am feeling like I am just never going to have a normal life. I have already spent half my life with back pain. I just thought I would be so much further than this and now with these new symptoms, I just hope that this isn't the start of something new. Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

• Hi. I had a 2 level lumbar fusion at l3-l4 and l4-l5 in 2003. Seven days after the surgery my legs and back suddenly started to hurt. Before the surgery I did not have any leg pain, now I have both back and leg pain. The surgeons last option (after trying many drugs that didn't work) was to cut the nerves to my legs. I asked for a referral to a pain care doctor and have been there ever since. Three years ago I found that I have 3 herniated discs in my neck. They cause problems in my hands and arms. Three weeks ago (after a CT scan) they found that s-1 is also herniated. I went back to work 6 months after my surgery. I usually takes me a half hour to get dressed and ready for work. I think I am going to go back to my chiropractor and try an acupuncturist. My doctor approves of this decision. I definitely will not be going back to see a surgeon! I also thought that my surgery would take away some of my pain but I sure didn't count on it adding more pain! I don't think that surgery is a realistic option for me, so I'll try the alternative, more holistic approaches. My medications are working well and keeping the pain under control. I hope you can find something that works well for you.