Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

$134,000 woman!!!!

mamainpainmmamainpain Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just got the detailed bill from my insurance and my jaw dropped to the floor at the total. The biggest suprise was how much the parts in me are, 18 pieces total, $134,ooo!!!! Wonder if when I heal, I can take the pieces out and sell them on ebay!!!
Have a great day!!!
Rachel
advertisement

Comments

• WOW!

I remembering reading that each titanium screw was about $2,000. I thought, "Wow, is that steep!" I am waiting for my insurance to send me the print-out of what the parts and labor were for my fusion almost a month ago!...and I only have 4 screws and a plate. Only five pieces! I just like the idea that we are like bionic people! Hope you are healing well.

Misty
  • ..is what my bill came to, for the fusion...2 NS worked on me, plus the hardware was 24K itself..5 nights in hospital, 8 hrs in ICU, yadda yadda, blah blah..

I also remember geting the insurance statement & seeing stars, almost. We are indeed Bionic--probably the only things that will be left of us in 100 years (if we don't have our %^$@^@$& hardware out!) BTW: my NS gave me a choice of hardware colors: mine is Teal Blue...like it makes any difference, huh! Go figure why they would add a color to the metal...! Who thinks of this stuff?!

~Lakeside
  • I would love to have picked my color, I think that might have made this whole thing worth it!!! Imagine, color coordinating my wardrobe around my implants!!! Your so lucky (I swear, I really am serious, i'm full of envy).
    Hope you are healing well.
    Sincerely,
    Rachel

Misty- Just make sure you are sitting when you open your bill! Good Luck! By the way my insurance covered all but $1500.00, Thank God!
  • Rachel, you are too funny! Color-co-ordinated hardware, LOL!

I think my color choices were teal, purple, gold, silver & bronze....! What a hoot! I remember looking @ the sample (which was teal) & actually thinking about it, woozy alomst from the thought of soon having this stuff INSIDE me, & figuring that teal would be appropriate, seeing that we live along Lake Michigan...what odd thoughts go thru ones' head at a time like that....! I was so out of it!

Now I could care less...it worked, it did its job & it hurts all the time...maybe if I'd chosen a different color.... haha!

~Lakeside

• I'm anxious to see what my detailed bill is! 19 screws, 8 rods, 1 plate, 4 days in ICU for 8 units of blood. 7 days total in hospital for ALIF/PLIF 4 level lumbar fusion. 2 surgeons. One for each side.
  • Like I said, sit down when you open it! Since we only had to pay $1500.00 total, I can relax and just enjoy the absolutely amazing amounts they get away with charging the insurance companies. $28,000 for pharmaceuticals, $134,000 for hardware/implants, $58,000 for anestheseology... and it just keeps going. Lets all hope in the end, it was worth every penny.
    Have a good day and rest, relax and think good thoughts!
    Rachel
  • Kind of makes me want to be a titanium miner!
  • Mine is royal blue. It was 24,000 and it fits in a mini zip lock bag. Hmmmm Maybe I should call my insurance agent and have it added! =)) Maybe sell it on ebay But if my ins co found out, they would probably want the money, so I think I will make some jewelry out of it. Only the special people can have jewelry like that....Looking at it, have no clue how in the world it can even remotely cost that much, except for the technology, I guess. My fusion was around 100,000. The removal is around 25,000. I really think that you should get something for repeat business. Have a good one...Love, Robin
  • I didn't know you could choose the colours! When did they ask you? My doctor hasn't mentioned it at all.

Isn't it totally insane how much they charge for things?
  • WOW.....just think.....if you had been able to choose a color it would have added another $100,000 to your bill!! LOL
    I do not know how much my 2 fusions were. All it cost me was $100.00 when I left the hospital!! BC/BS was really good back in those days.
    I am going to donate my body to Science. Won't the other meds students be pea green with envy when they see what the person with my spine gets!! I have 2 fusions, an SCS stimulator(if they won't remove it like I am going to ask them to)and a pain pump attached to it!!
    I can see the med students fighting over who gets my spine.
    Thanks for the good laugh I had when reading these comments!! You guys are to much!! =))
    Cheers
    Patsy W :H
  • I love the jewelry idea, little screw drop earrings, a rod pendant and little titanium ring necklace charms!!!
    I am in!!!
    Rachel
  • You are soooo funny! :)

I would have my 4 teal screws mounted on the teal rods like a lapel pin..dangling on my good black winter coat like a seasonal brooch...

I wish! They are still in my back, reminding me every moment that they are NOT going to leave anytime soon...!

Robin, loved that they fit in a small zip lock bag...all that $$$ spent & they fit in a small baggie... imagine that! I would laugh but it hurts when I laugh, LOL!

Great thread! We could start a cottage industry w/ our cast-off hardware!

~ Lakeside
  • wow is all i can say thats insane prices cant god health care is free here, wish u all pain free vipes
advertisement