Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dental infection and back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi im new here I am scheduled for a spinal fusion surgery this week but woke up today with a tooth abscess. it isnt too bad but im wondering if they will cancel the surgery .. I cant get into dentist before the surgery is scheduled it doesnt hurt but is swollen.


  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Have you called the dentist and explained the urgency? If you have an abscess and the do pre-op blood tests the morning of the surgery it will likely show signs of infection and that could lead them to cancel the surgery. If your dentist can't see you ask his office for the name of one you can see due to urgency.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi and welcome!

    I'd suggest you get in touch w/ your spinal surgeon ASAP and let them know what's going so he/she can make the call on whether a postponement is needed. Whatever the outcome, please get to a dentist or even your primary MD as soon as you can so that a course of antibiotics can be prescribed - dental abcesses shouldn't be fooled with at any time.

    Please keep us posted.
  • Talk about bad timing!!

    Yes, you should definitely call your surgeon and your dentist first thing in the morning. I can recall reading about spinal fusions that used hardware and the necessity to medicate prior to having dental procedures -- of course, I can't recall what I read or where....
    OK -- I just found it:

    I just had this discussion with my NS yesterday. Not only pre-medicate before dentist, but anything that is considered an invasive procedure. As long as there is a foreign body (screws, rods, cages,etc.) there is a chance of infection when something is done to the body."

    Here's the link if you want to read the whole thing:
Sign In or Register to comment.