Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headaches after ACDF

Kat_woman38KKat_woman38 Posts: 162
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, I'm 15 weeks out from a 2 level ACDF. I also have fibromyalgia, so I'm no stranger to headaches. But this last few weeks they've gotten more frequent, and the last 7 days I've woken up with a headache every morning. So far I'm able to take the edge off enough to deal with it, but is this normal this far out from surgery? I'm currently on Skelaxin and Neurontin to deal with muscle spasms & nerve pain, and have been taking Excedrin Migraine for the headaches. Anyone else out there have this problem? Thanks for any input!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Have you contacted your physician who did the surgery? You'll want to rule out a spinal headached (caused by leak or change in spinal fluid). Also, some medications for pain relief can cause rebound headaches but have spinal fluid stuff ruled out first.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Wouldn't that have been soon after surgery? I've seen my surgeon twice post-op and everything's been normal so far. Regardless I do plan to call the surgeon's office, but getting an answer out of them usually takes 3 days, 7 calls, and one yelling session LOL
  • 3 weeks ago I developed the horrible headache ( in my forehead) that I have ever had. Ended up in hospital for tens
    days! I had back surgery MD, L4--L5 on Oct 7, with no complications.
    In the hospital the found found my blood pressure 230| 190, blood sodium level had dropped to 60 normal being 135. I had double vision (still have it) Nothing else was else found. Had CT scans, MRI, Echo grams and all kinds of blood and urine test. An eye Dr found pressure in my right eye and Internal cranium pressure. I am scheduled for a spinal tap soon.
    An ideas? 3 other things, the loratab (10 X500) did nothing for the head pain. The only thing that help the pain in the hospital was diladuadin by IV, now that I am out I am on 10 x 325 percocet every 4 hours helps dull but doesn't get rid of it all.
    Any ideas?
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • Sorry to hear of your headache! I'm still dealing with mine, am sort of in a holding pattern, and my next appointment isn't until next month. No ideas on yours, but I hope they find something soon for you. Sounds like they're on top of it with the testing, hopefully it'll be something they can fix easily and quickly.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Do the headaches get better as they day goes on? I do recall headaches after both of my cervical surgeries and they did subside over time. And they'd get better as they day went along so it seems moving around helped. I think it was partially due to muscle spasms and even the way I was sleeping (I am forever in the quest for a good pillow, I've bought almost every kind out there).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I've been having headaches on and off in the last 2 weeks. It never occurred to me to ask my dr. I thought they were rebound headaches from the vicoden or from the muscle spasms I still get around my shoulder/neck area.

I hope this works out for you. Pain is pain and it sucks!