Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Out of work because of pain?

Diamond123DDiamond123 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was just wandering if anyone else is not working beacuse they are in daily pain and on to many med's?I have been out of work for over a year and can't think of getting any kind of job beacuse I would probly have to call out sick every other day beacuse I am in to much pain or on to many med's to think strait.I was thinking of applying for disabilty and was wandering if anyone else has done so and if so were you approved and was it hard to get approved?My doctor told me it was a long process and I probly was not a candidate.I am only 34 and have DDD with daily severe neck pain and headaches. I have not had surgery yet but 1 doctor recommended c3-4 and c6-7 fusion I am waiting for a second opinion.I was self enployed before this all started so I can't get any kind of unemployment benefits and am currently living of my dwindling savings.By the time I get a second opinion and if I get surgery then recover it could be 6-9m or more.Anyone else been in this situation if so what did you do? Thanks

• I have been where you are. I have not been able to work since my surgery about 2 years ago. I struggled through work for 4 years before that and I can honestly say that in my last year I was out sick almost as much as I was there. I encourage you to take a look at the health insurance section as there are many posts from members there that have and are still going through this process. Good luck.
  • I lost my job in May of this year due to sciatic pain. Once I started with the pain, the rest of my body seemed to fall apart too, fatigue, colds, etc.

So, like you, I am living off savings. I haven't had surgery and my sciatica is better but still are having health issues that keep me from working full time. I'm 55 and have never not been able to work in my life due to health issues.

Pain is pain not matter what age you are. Some people can work on pain meds and others can't -- everyone is different with how their pain is perceived and felt.

Are you under the care of a pain management doc? I would certainly look into SSDI -- besides the info onthis website, I recently saw an article on the Chronic Pain Connection website that took you through the steps of applying for SSDI.

Good luck to you. I certainly hope that for someone so young your pain can be mitigated and you can begin having a quality of life again.

Take care,

• hi!! :H please be sure and get your second opinion. i know it takes time and money but you really need that second opinion for comparison. surgery is always a scary proposition and you should be sure and do your homework... conservative measures may be of benefit first!! good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon.... :D Jenny :)
  • At 36 I too lost my job and found that continuing to work impossible for my own well being, I never gave up that notion of returning to some employment and now work with continual pain from the experience of staying at home for many years.

With the knowledge of the important of inclusion I volunteered half a day a week to keep that drive and motivation going I had two small children at the time and probably went well past the time is was reasonable for anyone in this level of pain to survive in the workplace.

As said the key thing perhaps is to get yourself into a better condition if possible and although nobody likes have surgery for some this is the only outcome at the end of the road and only you know.

We all hope things improve and that memory of financial hardship one thing that nobody really explain or understands without experience.

Take care and post again

• Diamond you should get a free consult with a disability lawyer. THere are lawyers who specialize in getting you ssdi. They don't get paid unless you get benefits. Usually the benefits are retroactive so the lawyer is getting from that portion.

• I agree that you should see a lawyer to help you through the complex system of getting ssdi.

I too was self employed when I was injured. I am blessed though that my husband is able to carry our small family biz ( commercial cleaning ) on without me for the most part. On good days I still can go to shorter jobs and dust and do other small tasks.

However back to you. Yes you need to do this, you have to think of your future.

Always plan for the worst while dreaming for the best ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.