Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF incision still very sore to the touch

xMARxxMAR Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can anyone relate to this. I was told the incision is healing well and no signs of infection by my OS. Feeling around the incision site it is very hard and lumpy under the skin. Any Idea what that could be. Kinda wierd question, but concerned. I'm 8 weeks PO so I know it can't be scar tissue. Thanks Kevin

• Hi Keven, I am 10 weeks out and my incision (about7-8 inches) is still very tender. No redness, swelling, bumps or anything, however it is very tender. I go for walks in my pajama pants and live in most of my pajamas because even after 10 wks I can't wear any kind of pants that even slightly put any pressure on my incision. If I try, within an hour I am tense, sore and tender, ready to strip wherever I am. Otherwise no problems. Dr. said no problem that he can see, guess it just takes time.
    Good luck to you. OH, A question: do you use a heating pad on your back much? I do, anytime I am down on the couch it is on and feels soooo good, but secretly wonder if all the warm down there is keeping it tender.
    Have a great day,
    PS I LOVE YOUR CAR!! I drive a Ford Taurus a good car, but booooorrrring!
  • I had a 2 level ACDF in July. At about 8 weeks out, I noticed I had a hard bump under my scar, and asked the doc at my PO checkup. He said that it was probably just scar tissue, and that when they close you up after the surgery things are a bit "folded up" in there, and that it would loosen up. Now at 15 weeks the bump is gone.

My scar is on my neck, so I didn't have a lot of difficulty with things touching it, but whenever I did it was sore for quite a while. It still gets a bit tender when I'm tired or have had a busy day.

Hope this helps!
  • Yes, I was just going to ask why you assume it could not be scar tissue? My guess is that is exactly what it is. Your doctor can show you the proper way to massage it so the bumps smooth out.

Of course, if it is oozing you should call the surgeon immediately.
  • My anterior incision was very sore to the touch for around 10-12 weeks. That's about how long it took my bowels to get back to normal after surgery. The "lumpy" feeling is probably scar tissue you are feeling.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thanks everyone for the comments. I thought scar tissue didn't form that early. The worst part is my back brace has a round hard plastic piece in the front and of course pushes right on it. I don't use heat or ice on my back. I'll give it more time to heal. Thanks Kevin