Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Drain Tube after 2 level fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Getting ready for a 2 level fusion L4-S1. I have read from some people about having a drain tube put in at the incision site. I am curious is that something that everyone has done or just some people and if it is uncomfortable and when does it get removed. Any info would be great.

Thank you

• just about 3 weeks ago. I had open TLIF and had a drain tube, and it was removed the morning I was released from the hospital. (3 days in the hospital) I really never noticed it aside from having to make sure it was clipped to my gown when I got up for any reason. I really never felt it. And it was no big deal at all when they removed it. I was a little anxious about what it would feel like, as I remembered my Dad complaining about his when he had surgery where the harvested bone from his hip for surgery on his hand. But really it just felt weird, no pain though. Afterwards I just had to give it 24 hrs to close up before I could shower, then just kept a little bandaid on it. Really all in all it was no big deal at all.
  • I had 2 drainage tubes. One on each side. The one on the left i didnt feel at all, the one on the right felt like what i would imagine jell-o would feel like being sucked through a straw, kind of squishey, not painful, but definately an odd sensation. Mine were VERY thin, long and thin, much thinner then a small straw.I had my surgery on a Monday and tubes were removed Thursday afternoon.
    Please let us know how everything goes, I will keep you in my prayers.
    May God Bless and Keep you,
  • I had one drain tube. It was much longer than the nurse that removed it thought it would be. She said quick and painless removal. She had to pull it several times to get it out. Wasn't really painful. I mean considering what I had just had done. Mine was in until the day I was released and it's what kept me in the hospital until day 4. I was having too much drainage so he kept me in the hospital an extra day.
  • fusion. Also had them after hardware removal and no big deal there either. Just kind of feels weird when they take it out. Now, my head surgery last Monday, I had two of them, that were put in behind my ear on each side. They went into my forehead, and I wont lie about it, hurt like non other when they took them babies out. So, piece of cake on the fusion ones I had...Good Luck and hope things go well for ya..
  • judithmhicksjjudithmhicks Posts: 2
    edited 04/16/2014 - 3:54 PM
    Im about to go through a 6 level spine fusion next month and was wondering if anyone has gone through this many levels? I have ddd,spinial stenosis,5 buldging discs.I found out I had tears in 4 of them when I had a discogram done and I don't recommend that its very painful! I have gone through so many treatments,shots,epidurials,triggerpoint,medications the works! I was told 8 years ago that I needed surgery and I didn't do it,I thought I could wait and it would get better with time and guess what it didn't,it got worse! ive read so many things about spine fusion and what can happen if you have more than 3 levels done and mine is 6! Although I do trust my surgeon and have faith he can stabilize me.Ive been living with this for so long that Iam going to take the plunge.Ive reached that level but I would be foolish not to be scared cause Im human. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! This fusion is in all of my lumbar spine.
  • I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Ask away.
    Cervical Laminectomy and fusion C2 to T1 June 2012, Anterior Hip Replacement November 2012, Laminectomy, Discectomy Foriminotomy, L3 to L5, February 2014, evacuation of Hematoma April 2014.
    Cervical Myopathy, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, osteoarthritis