Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 week checkup

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I FINALLY had my 2 week check-up and I was told everything is going wonderful, and I don't need physcial therapy! WOOHOO! I was told I can finally lift my daughter, and drive. Even better news. They took off the sticky bandaide on my neck and I finally saw whats left. So now I'm wondering what I can do to keep having this huge scar on my neck. Is there any home remedy, or anything simple I can do to keep this from being so noticeable. I still have the stitches inside the skin, with little "rat-tails" hanging out the side. No-one likes scars in christmas pictures, but if it doesn't go away, i'll call it my battle scar.

• My scar is about 3" long and vertical on the left side of my neck. I called it my battle scar, but my surgeon was so good that it's not even noticable any more.
  • I can be so rude sometimes. I should have included in my post that I'm so happy you got a good checkup and can pick up your daughter and drive now.

Please remember, though, that you only had major surgery two weeks ago so don't overdo it. You'll have to pay for it later if you do, so please continue to take care of yourself and lift only when necessary.

• I don't think i'll be driving that much as it is anyway. I don't really have anywhere to go. As far as picking up my daughter, I won't be carrying her in her carseat. That thing is way to heavy without major surgery. But I can hold her near my body, and I don' lift with my back, so I should be great. I'm thinking I won't have to much of a scar, but I've heard of people putting neosporin on cuts and scars, and it making them smaller.
    I didn't think you were rude at all! I was thinking on a funny note, I can't wait to see the bill for this!
  • Hi! I know how you feel about the scar. I had a PLIF (low back scar ) + 2 priors, so I had almost a keiloid developing. I used something called "Bio-Skin care" cream (they have a website) & after about 2 weeks, my scar was definately less red & raised.And seemed to itch less also.

I'm not endorsing anything & please wait until you check w/ your doc & have permission to put anything on it ( mine said wait 4 weeks until everything was healed all the way down) but it sure helped, as I had 3 surgeries & the cut was quite "raw" even tho my NS tried to reduce some of the excess scar tissue from the priors.

"Bio-Skin Care" cream. It's made by silk worms or something...! All natural & you can use whatever you have left in the jar on your FACE later on!

• Mederma is something that you can buy at any drugstore that works really well to reduce the appearance of scars. The sooner that you start using it the better it works. It is a little expensive but well worth it. Good luck and I am so glad that you are recovering so quickly.