Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior Foraminotomy info....

VerminatorVVerminator Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am glad to say my NS told me it was just bone spurs causing the nerve issues. The normal pain in the arm, numbness, tingling.....yada yada.
I cant find alot of post-op stories for this surgery.
Any info would be great.

Thanks and good luck to all,

• You can read all about bone spurs here:

You are not finding much information on the surgery because a foraminotomy is often done in conjunction with other surgeries like a laminectomy or discectomy and certainly with a fusion.

The foramina are supposed to be openings that the spinal nerves use to exit the spinal cord to go out to parts of the body. With arthritic conditions, bone spurs, degeneration, etc. the openings begin to close up and the nerve cannot pass freely. The foraminotomy simply enlarges the hole to make more room for the nerves.

It's great when it works. Unfortunately the results are often not long-lasting. Then something has to be done to keep the opening open...and the patient ends up with a fusion.

Hope this helps a little bit. I had this surgery this past January. It was an easy surgery. I stayed overnight but could have gone home the same day. I came home and baked brownies and went for a long walk. I never needed a pain pill. Hopefully it will be just as easy for you!