Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can any one tell me...SCS

monibmmonib Posts: 102
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Management
Does anyone know exactly why in the beginning the IPG pocket burns? Seems like everyone has gone through it so it has to be normal...but what causes the sensation?

• It is your body saying, "HEY YOU FORGOT SOMETHING HERE"...
    It has not been a problem for me for quite a while now. I can make it sore if I do not watch how I wear my jeans and the beltline digs in to or around the ipg. Other than that it is fine.
  • Is it the bodys way of saying you left something? I don't like this...I am going to fight it because it is foreign? LOL I know what you mean about pants. If I wear jeans it has to be for a very short time because it makes the pocket burn so bad...and it will burn for hours after. I just wondered if there was a medical reason for the burning sensation.
  • Since I am having my permanent implant tomorrow I am curious to know how long it took the burning sensation to go away for some people?
  • Anjuan--Good luck tomorrow and remember this sensation is very normal. I asked my doctor about it and he said that is a normal sensation and it will go away with time. He didn't tell me why it does that so I thought I would see if anyone else had been told the medical reason behind the sensation. Please let us know how you are doing after the surgery. Don't expect to hear anything until you are up and about. Don't rush yourself...but when you can update us. Happy vibrating starting tomorrow.

Burning sensation last a few second when you move in a certain direction or bump it...isn't really painful just something that lets you know hey something happened here. If I remember correctly the first week it burned a lot then it got better and now the only time I notice the burning is if I have tight jeans on for more than a couple of hours. .

To describe it is like salt in an open wound...but not that intense.
  • Since the IPG is supposed to be placed at a skin depth no deeper than 1 cm, I would suspect there's quite a few nerve endings that are "interrupted". Imagine an avulsion type injury where you peel the skin off down to the fat layer. It burns like a son of a gun. Since the doc is intentionally creating a semi-closed skin flap, flushing it with antibiotics and inserting a foreign object into it, I would think the nerve endings are pretty "raw" for a bit.

Again, it's just a guess on my part.

My IPG pocket burned with position change for about 2 weeks and then only with some clothing impingement for a few more weeks after that.

• A conservative estimate is 4-6 weeks of the burning.
    Not at the same level and certainly can be made worse by bumping it, laying on it wrong or sometimes even strapping the charger on to tight! Mine was really not that bad. touching the ipg kind of "freaked me out" for a while. Just that it was there, now, it does not bother me much. It is actually less protrusive, like my body has done a better job of filling the "gaps" around the edges.
    I've thankfully not gained any more weight so I know that is not the cause for it feeling "smoother"

Like "C" said the ipg has to go in very shallow so that the charging feature will work.

• on my back where the paddle leads were stitched onto the lamina also stung and burned just like my IPG pocket. I remember cutting myself and feeling that stinging, burning feeling for a while afterwards. I think its just like that. Susan