Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware Removal

girlinpainggirlinpain Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am set to have my hardware removed from a L4-S1 Lumbar Fusion. Any advice or what I should expect??

• I have not had my hardware removed - yet. The NS is just waiting until I give him the 'go'. So I'm of n help right now.

There are some others who have had it removed - they should see your post and reply soon I would think.

Can I ask...

What are your symptoms? Why the removal?

As for me, my muscles are catching on the screws when I walk, when I sit, when I drive (something about moving my legs when I'm sitting with my back against something seems to really trigger the spasms). I can also push on a screw head and my leg goes to jelly and folds under me. I have a consant back ache that I thought was just normal post-op stuff, but it might be just the hardware, if it is, I might get rid of that backache!!

I live with topical Voltaren gel to get through the pain. Also I am constantly using Biofreeze. I really REALLY do not want another surgery right now, hence my hesitancy. Also the NS wants me out of the 'grey' area of healing - the time where it looks fused, but might not be yet. The longer I can hold off the better my chances are that the fusion really is solid.
  • i had fusion in06 less than a yr had hardware removed.i fused fast so was no problem to remove.i had sharp pain were hardware was and as long as i was fused doc removed it all.
    i went home next day..
    sounds like ya have alot more goin on and i wish you well..just take it slow.. even when ya feel better dont over do it.
    your in my thoughts and keep us posted
    mary-aka watergirl....
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • My fusion fused very fast as well and I was fine but now have sharp pain also where hardware is I can feel it. So recovery wasn't bad?