Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Greetings, New to site and sugery!

LcashLLcash Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am a 51 year old male that has been living with pain for many years. I was in an accident in 1976 and had a head injury that was just a cut. Back then they did not have MRI's etc so there was no tests done on the neck or back. I had no symptoms until a car wreck in 1995. I went to the Neurosurgeon in New Orleans and he did a nerve conduction study and MRI and said I had some herniated disks. I refused as at the time I did not have insurance and the guy the hit me only had enough to cover the tests. So I handled it with pain meds (lortab etc) until I moved to Houston Tx after Katrina (I was transfered with my job, not an evacuee). I used a combination of Ibuprofen and Naproxin and it seemed to work as well as the Lortab. Well I had a gastric bypass in January (1st surgery ever)and have lost 90 lbs. So eveything should be going great. However one of the side effects of Gastric bypass is that you cannot take any NSAID's. Only Tylenol is accepted. That worked for a while and suddenly a few months ago I began to have lots of pain down my neck through my left shoulder and down my arm. I went to get another MRI and found that I have only 1 cervical disk that is not herniated. I have a very large herniation on the C-5/C-6 that is pressing against the spine on the right side yet I have no symptoms on the right. I have a narrowing of the canal at the C-6/C-7 that is causing the pain. I am now scheduled to have a NCS tomorrow and to see the neurosurgeon next week to schedule surgery. I believe he said he was going to do the C-5/C-6 and the C-6/C-7. He said recovery should be about 2 weeks before I can go back to work on light duty. Any info you vets can give a guy would be helpful. Seems I went my whole life without surgery of any kind and this year I will end up with 3. Gastric Bypass, Hernia from Gastric bypass and now this. Hopefully this will be the end of the surgeries.

• There is much useful information and many caring people who will answer your questions and give you support when you need it. I had a cervical fusion in 2005. They went in from the front of my neck and it stopped my pain right after surgery. The surgery itself never bothered me and I had to wear a foam brace around my neck for a few weeks. I hope this will be your last surgery and you will be pain free. God Bless!
  • Thanks and Roll Tide!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Welcome to S.H. My surgeries were lumbar so I can't be of any help. But I am sure someone with cervical problems will chime in soon. I want to wish you luck on your surgery. And I hope it will be the last!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I can't help as I am all back injuries.... but I still wanted to drop in and say "hi" :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.