Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had first injection today! How long b4 I feel improvement?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Injections
Just curious. I have two friends that told me they felt better right away. I really don't feel any different so far after having epidural in l5/s1 this afternoon. I did feel pressure from the fluids going in exactly in the spot where I get pain in my back. Will say that. I'm definitely optimistic about this shot but was hoping for more dramatic effect for some reason. Does it take a few days to kick in?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Hi Seatown (hope that means you are near an ocean)

The 'when' ESI's start to make you feel better is an totally open question

The 'classic' documented answer is between 24 and 72 hours.
    Normally, the first 12 hours or so, you can be very sore from the injection.

Now, some people NEVER find any relief from these ESI's And there are those that get great results. I wish there was a simple way in figuring that out.

I have had about 8 ESIs in the past 3 years. (6 thoracic and 2 lumbar) I had good results from the Lumbar ESI, but had no benefit from the thoracic injections.

Spine-Health has more details on this... Take a look at this:
    Spinal Injections
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hey Ron. Yes, I'm in Seattle. Thanks for the post and the link to the "section on injection". Looks like I have some reading to do tonight. I felt the numbing meds wear off pretty quick at least I thought I did will be interesting to see if I get sore or not from them. So far on the positive side I could feel the pressure from the fluids go over exactly where I have pain in my back so I find that encouraging at least since the MRI and EMG I had both were unremarkable. My sciatic pain is more or less the same as before as it was this morning. I think my doc is a good one and had a pretty good sense where to poke me l5/s1,we shall see. Looking forward to seeing what the next 24-72 hours bring. Was hoping for some relief to at least enjoy trick or treating with the kids!

• how are you feeling? did your injection work? I had one done on the 24th and today ( 26th) Im still on ice. This one hurts more than any other one Ive had before. We are leavinf for disney on Tuesday. I hope it gets better. Just wanted to see how you were feeling.