Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trying to cut back on meds

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:38 AM in Chronic Pain
For an upcoming surgery. I have reduced my 60 mg. a day Methadone down to 50. How ever my 2 a day 20 mg. of hydrochdone for break through (I cut a long time ago back to 1 a day) has been very hard to cut. Because there is so much to be done before surgery
and that is just causing more pain spikes. And I truly think the fear of surgery causes me more pain from being tense.
But I've been in this boat before and I didn't cut back on the meds prior to surgery. And they couldn't control the pain. And I told them so. But I didn't rant and rave and yell and tear the place apart. That's just not me. But maybe I should have. I've heard that the one who makes the most noise gets taken care of first and best.
I always mark down exactly what meds I take so they can act accordingly. But the anesthesiologist must not take that into consideration when he prescribes the pain control regiment you are to be on and leaves the hospital. Once while I was telling a really caring nurse that the pain wasn't being controlled at all. She said she was giving me the maximum that was prescribed. But asked me what I was taking for pain meds before the surgery. I told he fentanyl 50 mcg. and 2 norco every 6 hrs. She said, no wonder, and got me a patch and the norco and everything was fine. What is wrong with that picture???
Well I think I've complained more that enough.
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• what kind of surgery r u going to have?? yes y have to cut back yr immune system will prob not handle the meds post surgery... i went through 2 back surgeries.. and the recovery is a bytch. u will feel bad. like why did i do this after 4-6 weeks u will feel better good luck to u
  • I have heard that after surgery a doc will often prescribe less than what you are taking pre-surgery because in theory you won't need as much. The thought is that the surgeon fixed whatever was causing your pain, and so you should only have normal post op recovery pain. Theoretically for a "normal" surgical patient, they can be treated with way less medication than what a person with chronic pain is taking prior to the surgery.

Don't know if I agree with the philosophy, but I have heard this. Just throwing it out there for a possible explanation of why they would give less.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I'm sorry you're hurting so much. And cutting back on meds has lots of consequences, as we have discussed lately :D And you are right, stressing over the surgery does increase your pain. Wouldn't one think they could do all the pre-op stuff at one time....................oh.........silly me, they want more appts so they can charge more money :))( . Have they scheduled when your surgery is yet? If you said, I can't remember, I know they are rushing this through, which is good on one hand, less time to stress. Hang in there. I'm praying this works out for you, and that you will have a much better quality of life afterwards.

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    Maggie
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Yet. I have to have a discogram and ct. scan on 11/9
    Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • As a nurse of 30 years, this comment stood out:

I've heard that the one who makes the most noise gets taken care of first and best.

Us nurses dreaded the angry difficult patient! Prayed they'd leave us alone lol. We gave them the care they needed and then left the room quickly. More time was spent with the patient who was easier to communicate with. Nursing is a very stressful job and a difficult patient makes it even more so. If you have a complaint, it is best to request help from the charge nurse and on up the ladder if you feel your needs have not been met.

Being on the other side now, has given me more empathy towards patients. I have experienced great care and lousy care. I want to scream at some who should not be in the profession. Good to hear that you are not like so many difficult patients. I hope you get great nursing care.

Marianne
  • Is it possible for you to have conversations with surgeon and head of nursing at hospital where you are having surgery to discuss your concerns for post surgical pain management? It can't hurt to make them aware of your concerns so the doctor and nursing staff will have a plan of action in place to control your pain at a time when you can't be your own advocate.

Just a thought -- You'll feel better having laid out of course of action to allay your fears about post surgical pain and it will help to relax you prior to surgery.

Best of luck,

Judy
  • My thoughts are with you :)

I wish I had a magic wand to wave around for you :(
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
    I cut the methadone from 60 mg. to 50 mg. and then too quickly to 40 mg. But I'm trying to keep my mind on other things. So I won't notice as much. It is hard to do!
    Good luck, Jim :SS
  • I know it can be difficult to cut your pain meds, but IMO its worth it for the outcome you will get with your post op pain relief. Have you discusses you pain relief options yet with your surgeon, I would start there. I had a ALIF (fusion) and they hooked me up to a pain pump for the first two days and then oral meds from there on out. The pain was well controlled. I invisioned waking up in huge pain but oddly enough I awoke in the recovery room wiht zero pain, yep zero. Supposedly in the OR the surgeon put something in the surgical site that gave me no pain for a couple of hours, it was wonderful. However, when that wore off, mama mia! Getting up for the first time was by far the worst, but the most important thing you can do.
    I have a failed back surgery and am still on pain meds, plus I have nerve damage from my surgery so my pain is not improved.
    You mentioned a discogram this month, have you ever had one of these done before? I had a discogram done before my surgery too.
    L.
    Yes I've had a discogram before. For me it was painful, but not nearly as bad as most others have had. I hope I have the same outcome.
    Jim
    To 50mg. Then after 2 attempts to go to 40 and failing. I finally made the cut to 40 mg.
    It lasted 3 days. Today with so much to do before all of the procedures and surgery. I screwed up by not stopping at the point that I knew was safe. I should have paced myself. And spread the work out over 2 or 3 days. But once I got past the halfway mark I figured I could make a real challenge out of it and accomplish it all in 1 day. MISTAKE!!! I feel good about accomplishing the challenge. But now I'm in pain and I'm back at 60 mg. at least for today. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel better And if I can just focus on accomplishment and get my mind off of the pain. I can quickly get back down to 40 mg.
    Good luck, Jim
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.