Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Angry at the pharmacy

lilmamallilmama Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Medications
Let me give you a little background info first.

I live 30 minutes away from my doctor that I see just about every 28-30 days. He had started me on 2 10/325 tablets of Percocet a day. Then my injections wore off and I called my Dr. and he okay'd me to take up to 4 per day. Well, I had went to see him yesterday and he refilled my scripts for all my meds and when I went to the pharmacy last night to fill them, they told me that they can not fill it, it's too soon and I should only be taking 2/day. I told them that my dr. had given me permission to take 4 per day and to please call them with any questions or to varify any information. This is something they should be talking to the doctor about, not me. He told me nope, I won't do it, you have to wait 2 weeks before I will fill this for you. X( X( X( I called my dr. and the nurse said he had just left, so I would have to wait and have him call in the morning. Well, he did call them, and then the nurse called me to tell me that they had spoken with the pharmasist and I could pick up my medications. I get there, and the same idiot tells me "I can not fill this ma'am and you should be trying to seek help for your drug addiction." WHAT!?! I said, "it's your job to play pharmacist, not to be my doctor." He came back with, "ma'am I have just as much power and education if not more, than your doctor." 8} So I asked for my medications back and told him that I'll go to a pharmacy that actually does want my business and knows how to be a pharmacist.
Anyways, I'm sitting here in a lot of pain, I haven't had anything for pain in about 2 days and waiting for the new pharmacy to fill me meds. Is this normal to be treated this way? I understand it's a HIGHLY controlled substance, but why are people angry at me just for having medication? It's as if they snub at you just b/c you have to take these medications. What a headache!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Sometimes its difficult to say who is to blame. I know I've had some medication refills turned back because the insurance company indicated that I would have to wait 4 more days to get it refilled.
    The problem is that the original prescription is written for X tabs every 8 hours. Thats the standard, but based on flare ups and other problems the doctor says, take 2X tabs ever 4 hours is fine. However the script still reads the original. x every 8 hours. So with that information, the pharmacy working with the Insurance company has to reject it.
    Many people do not realize that it is not really the pharmacy that is rejecting your refills. When they get a new script, they have to go into the registry and check that prescription with your insurance plan. The insurance plan dictates WHEN a script can be refilled. To get that changed, you can always talk to your Insurance company about getting an override. (I had to do that when I left the country for an extended period of time)

You would think that the pharmacist and the doctor should just be able to handle this. Many times, its not the doctor that talks to the pharmacist, its the doctors office.
    Still there is no reason any pharmacist should talk to you the way they did. They level of education and that it might be more intense than the doctors has no bearing on the situation.
    An order is an order. If the order is filled correctly, the pharmacist should never be able to refuse it, as I said the insurance company may and then in turn the pharmacist tells you no.
    This whole arena can get very confusing.. That is why it is so important to:

1 - Review all your script refills with your doctor to make sure they reflect with any verbal communications.

2 - Deal with a Pharmacy that you trust. Many people have good luck at the big chains... Personally, I like the smaller pharmacies. They get to know you and you know them. A good pharmacist should always be looked at as your ally.

And it down and dirty situations, you can always tell the pharmacy, I am not using my Insurance for this script, I will pay for it myself. That might work fine, but the price will be high

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I cannot believe this pharmacist had the audacity to speak to you that way. If he/she is part of a large chain, I definitely would report this person and request a formal, written apology or.......? Ron has a point. My understanding is that if the new prescription differs from the previous one then the having to wait for the old one to "mature" does not apply. So, if your new script said take 4 a day, there should be no problem filling the new prescription. I would call the insurance company too. I am just flabbergasted. I am so sorry this happened to you. I think the pharmacist's comment regarding his education indicates someone with self-esteem issues. So, the problem is his, not yours. but still. Susan.
  • The way my doctor gets around that problem is to write "fill today" or "fill immediately" on the prescription.
  • Did the Dr. write the new Rx for, 2 every 8 hours? If he did then the Pharmisist and insurance company won't fill it as it indicates you are taking it outside the prescribed dosage.

If the Dr. wrote the new Rx for every 4 hours the Pharmasist will fill it and the insurance company will cover it as it is a new and different dosage.

I have had a dosage change refilled within a week of the previous fill because of a dosage change by the doctor. The Pharmasist only cares what the insurance company will pay for.

If the Dr. wrote it for every 8 hours and verbally told you to double the dosage shame on the Dr.
  • Well, it turns out that the script was written correctly, to take 4 per day and there should have been no problem. They had bumped up the quantity that I was allowed to take per day since the last script was written. I called and talked to my Dr.'s nurse and she said that the same guy from the pharmacy she spoke with was very rude to her as well. It was just that guy at the pharmacy. He refused to fill it for whatever reason, and even told my dr. nurse that I was an addict and no one my age should be given these meds. Fortunately, I really don't care what he thinks, he's not my doctor and I have other options and places that would like my business and are able to do their job.
    I understand it's a highly controlled substance, and I understand that there are laws and rules in order to make sure that these types of meds are not abused or being sold illegally. BUT... in no way does it make it okay to judge people that genuinly need them and take them as directed.
    Oh, and yes, I did get them filled and picked them up last night.
  • Lilmama, I "tip my hat" to you on this!!! I would have been giving this buttnugget some serious "bad words" for sure! I am impressed on how you handled him. I hope he works for a large chain - a law suit would be a no brainer! Did you talk to his boss/supervisor to let him know what this guy said to you? Incredible! At a minimum, you are switching pharmacies I hope? Good luck!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have had a LOT pf meds changes, some of them happening 2 to 3 times within a 2 week period. My Dr "warned" me that the pharm may give me a hard time and to just have them call him.
    They did not give me a hard time in the VERY personal way this pharm did to you, but they have had insurance issues as of the amount of meds and the times and dose changes.
    My Dr calls my insurance co directly and tells them he has approved these changes.

I could not even image how over the TOP I would be if I were ever to be talked to like this person spoke with you! :jawdrop: X( X(

I am glad you went to a new Pharm.

I do ask this - WHY is it still taking 2 days for the new pharm get t your meds fled?d? Where they out?

I so would not let this IGNORTANT pharm geaway y with this without taking some serious steps to having it handled.

Please know I am thinking/praying for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I can't tell yall how much I appreciate the support. I did call and talk to this guy' superior who apologized to me, etc. I told her I would never return to their pharmacy and even store b/c of this, and I could never support a store who employs people that errogant.
    The new pharmacy is a smaller pharmacy, but still part of a large chain store. It took them an extra day to get the approval from my insurance co. I explained to the lady what was going on, why I required this medication, and that changes in the dose etc. are based upon how much pain I am in during the week. My doctor will advise me to take an extra one during the week if my pain is bad therefore I might be "out" earlier than the day supply. I even had my doctors nurse call the pharmacist to let her know my condition so that we are ALL on the same page about these medications.
    What a process, seriously! Who knew it would be this hard?!
  • Hope you get your meds SOON :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • My neurologist has a solution for this. Might not be quite orthodox but it works. When I started on the neurontin he gave me the 100 mg capsules. My starting dose was 100 mg 3x a day. He made the prescription for 300 3x so I would have enough when he upped me the next week. His rational is that he knows he is adjusting the dose and this allows him to do it without me coming in for a prescription.

When I encounter someone like your old pharmacist I try to remember that everyone has a story. THere may have been something in that pharmacists past that makes him suspicious or concerned about narcotic prescription abuse. It doesn't solve your problem but maybe it can make you more accepting of his problem.

I think you handled this perfectly. You tried to resolve the situation and then changed pharmacies when that didn't work. Consider it part of the past and don't dwell on it.

Hope the meds are working. :)
  • I have been in the same situation. My doctor has given me verbal permission to take twice as much of the med, but failed to change it on the pharmacy side, or he tells me he can't see me and to go to the ER and then the script from the ER causes drama...
    This particular doctor would also call in one of my meds every month, and I had to basically hound him for it. I do what I'm supposed to, ask the pharmacy to fax it. And then 2-3 days later it's a game of "It was faxed. We didn't get it. The doctor didn't reply, but we faxed it. The doctor will fill it tomorrow. No word from the doctor. and so on..." I have had to take a very proactive role in getting that filled. And I'm sure my phone calls to the pharmacy come off looking really good /sarcasm. *sigh*
    Good Luck, you are definately not alone.