Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on SCS program tweaking

cherish22ccherish22 Posts: 706
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Management
I went Tuesday to get some tweaking done to my ANS/St. Jude Eon Mini programs and learned A LOT!! First, I've shared that I have had to charge ever 3 days or so, and that is really frequent. My favorite day program is very fast and light....and I can watch the battery suck down as I run it. lol

So I asked for more of a jackhammer type program for bad pain days and they copied my favorite program (NEVER deleting any current program I like) and with the copied program changed the pulse width (?) down to 30, the lowest they will go. (Doc orders......says going less than 30 can cause massive muscle spams that can cause a fall - one main reason he REFUSES to give his SCS patients ANY control on their remote controls.)

OK, so now I have a deeper, harder sensation and I am SHOCKED to report that my battery hasn't sucked down AT ALL. AT this rate, I have no idea how long I will go before I have to charge!!!! Yahoo!!

So to my mind, I have harder, stronger pulsing, which would make me THINK that it was using MORE juice. But instead, using less juice.

Who knew! lol

This will be my "new" day program! lol

And I also asked how much an extra remote control would cost. She asked why - and I told her one day, my remote control appeared to quit working and as I assumed lamaze breathing and prepared for a total mental breakdown (lol), my engineer hubby worked his magic to fix an apparent battery issues. Thank God for engineers!! lol

She told me that a new remote for my model would be $1200, BUT it would be of no use to have it. We can only "marry" one remote to our IPG at a time. This is to prevent someone from going up to another SCS patient and downloading THEIR programs to see if they would like them. lol I would NEVER have thought to do that, but hey. lol

If my remote control ever truly dies, I am to overnight my remote, they copy my programs, and they overnight mail me a new remote control. Meanwhile, I could use my magnet to turn off and on, providing my program was turned on at the time the remote control dies.

I did have her print out a copy of my current programs for her use, but had her write on the printout - day program, night program, extra pain program. This way, she COULD call in settings if need be.

I asked the rep why my pain changed so suddenly last week and she said she goes months with few phone calls, all her patients content and happy. Then the weather changes and she is inundated with "help" phone calls. So, the weather is huge, I guess. Where I live, it isn't cold yet, but my goodness if it rains any more we will beat Seattle. lol

Take care,

• Cheri, you say that reducing the pulse width creates a more intense feeling. What do you feel if you increase the frequency at this reduce pulse width?
  • If your question means "When I turn it up, what do I feel" (LOL....total chick here, gotta use easy terms), the intensity gets EVEN STRONGER. And I would surely bet it was sucking even more juice. But it doesn't.

Because by frequency, couldn't that also mean adjusting the settings to make the buzzing go even faster? I honestly don't know my terminology because my doctor doesn't allow ANY control. But I have no trouble seeing the rep.....within one day of calling.

When they were setting this program, they had me stand up and tell them when I thought I was about to not be able to walk. When it got that strong, that set my upper limit, and they told me to tell them when I didn't feel it at all, and they set that bottom limit. So I have 20 or so ticky marks that I can turn it up or down within those limits.

I am still just floored that I won't be charging 2-3 times a week. lol

Now, when I was very first getting programmed last January, the only Jack hammer type program we tried was MUCH slower, as in pound....pound........pound.....pound. This one is poundpoundpoundpoundpound. I don't like any break in sesation, just a constant buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. She told me then that folks with more back pain often prefer the very hard slow pounding. I need the buzzing quick and constant for my total happiness.

Hope that helps!

• My pulse width is set very low also. I have noticed(and watched) that i really dont need to recharge but every two weeks. My ANS rep told me i need to recharge once a week though in order to keep the battery strong. I also like that constant pounding feeling for my pain. I had my Stim reprogrammed last week and they had to double the power to get through my scar tissue. But it sure feels alot better now. I am on my feet for at least 8 hours most days and seem not to notice the stim at all any more unless i sit down. I know its working because of the pain relief. I only have 10 vertical lines i can increase my SCS. But i was told my lowest setting is actually pretty high compared to most people.
  • Glad you were able to get something a bit more comfortable to run with.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again!