Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going to Disney World!

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Medications
Yup We are going to finally get this trip in. My in Laws bought this trip for us 3 years ago and weve had to cancel it every time for 3 years because of my back, but so far so good. My husband ordered me a scooter. My father in law also rides one so we will have races...lol. And my Hubby also bought me a surprise gift to Cirque De Solei. Im so excited. I do have a question about my meds. I go to see my dr on Nov 9th Im sure Ill get a 30 day supply and will be scheduled to be seen the first week of december. Thats when we will be in Disney. From Dec 1-9. I dont know how to handle this should I ask for a 2 month supply and get permission to refill it in Disney or ask for more than 30 and see him the week I get back. I dont know If they can prescribe more that 30 oxycontins at a tome like an odd number of 35 or something. Any advice for me? Im so excited but also very scared that my back will go out. I dont want to ruin anyones vacation. It will be so much fun with my mother & father in law to see the kids at Disney. It has been their dream for so long.

• Your best option is to discuss your concerns /questions with your doctor. Most of them have some sort of way of handling vacations or trips for their patients and meds during one.I know that mine did back then.
  • Congrats on coming to Disney -- you will have a great time with your family and children -- still in the 90's here in Orlando so hopefully it will actually be cool by the time you're here (LOL!).

Are you out of state? If so, I don't think you can bring precriptions for narcotics across state lines and have them filled. I know I have to prepare when I go to visit my sister in Houston and make sure that I have my oxy filled before I visit. All other meds I can have filled at a reciprocal pharmacy. My pharmacist is wonderful and gives me all the info I need to have an out of state pharmacy call them to refill meds (all but narcotics).

I'm not with a pain management doc, it's my primary care that prescribes for me. Here in Orlando, you have to pick one of your doctors to prescribe your narcotics, they won't let multiple docs prescribe or they get in trouble. So, if you're under a pain contract, someone else will have to give you advice.

Scooter is the way to go at Disney -- have fun!

• Good for you guys!

I'd ask for an extra amount. Also, have your doctor write a note stating something like, "Please accommodate Dmoon's physical and stamina issues." When you go to the first park at Disney, go to Guest Services and get a Guest Assistance Card. This is helpful to show to cast members at rides as our disabilities are not always visible. Some rides you wait in a totally separate line and even get on quicker. Some they just provide you an area to sit(if you are not on the scooter.) At the Beauty and the Beast live show in Hollywood Studios, you get front row seats.

Do keep in mind that if there is low water, some of the boat transports cannot take scooters.

Some of the rides you transfer off scooter, get on, and a cast member brings your scooter to the ride exit for you.

Of course listen to your doctor, but the Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster in Hollywood Studios is a great coaster-you are very securely strapped into a soft seat.

In general, Disney is very handicapped friendly except for the shops, of course, they are crammed like any store so it's hard to scooter through those.

http://allears.net/pl/planning.htm and scroll towards the bottom. Besides the family tips, it has many tips for disabilities.

Have fun!!!!
  • my biggest concern of course is running out of meds while im there. I take my meds exactly as prescribed and I thought of maybe holding back a bit to have some extra but that is impossible for me to do and against my policy. I would also get cought in the pain cycle. Once I get behind my pain it takes about a month to catch up to it and involves a trip to the hospital. I just really hope the dr is willing to work with me. ( I had a great relationship with my previos Dr, he moved to California this month and im getting a new Dr in the practice Ill meet on Nov 9th) so I am nervous. I am so excited for Disney. We honey mooned there ( made our 1st born there) some wonderful memories and more to made with this trip.
  • You might want to hide your med's, I understand Goofy has been addicted to them for years. Just ask Minnie !
  • Is it possoble for a dr to write a orescripption for more that 30 days worth , like 15 days worth? that would be perfect then I could see the Dr soon as I get back without have any problems at all even if we get stuck for a day or 2 because of snow ( which has happened 2 yrs in a row in Dec)
  • Hiya DMoon!

Glad you're finally getting that trip!!! You deserve it!

I wouldn't worry hun....People come down to Florida for months at a time and have no problem getting prescriptions filled-many elderly that have MANY different meds and are here for 6 mos-very common here in FL. In fact, before I was blessed (in a way that is too long explain in this post, lol) & moved here in August, I had come down in June for 6 weeks (to care for my G'pa in his last weeks of life & to arrange his burial, etc....not quite as fun as Disney!), I had my pharmacy (a major chain) in Michigan call the same chain here in Florida to find out what to do-said chain pharmacist told home state pharmacist that as long as I brought the actual paper scripts with me, there would be no problem filling them. I discussed this with my pain Dr and he gave me 2 scripts for each pain med-1 to be filled immediately, and another to hold onto with instructions "do not fill until July 1st" written. No complaints from insurance, Dr or pharmacist! =)

Just my thoughts-but I'd discuss it w/your Dr on 11/9. I don't see any reason why you'd have any problems.

Enjoy your trip! I'm only 90 miles or so from Orlando...maybe sometime we can organize an SH "face to face" there and have a group of us spend 4 days or so-wouldn't that be a hoot?

BTW-(I happen to enjoy warm weather so having upper 80-90* weather in October has been GREAT for me-spent Halloween at the beach & in the pool, lol-but having also been here in Dec in years past, it COULD get "chilly" depending on your comfort level. To be honest, being from freezing Michigan, I've never been here and been "cold", lol).

Good luck-keep us posted...on the scripts AND the trip! =)

• Wow...I just realized that the sun is rising....which is a beautiful thing, yes, but I haven't been to sleep yet (again!)! And, while I remembered to set my clock back in here (& of course the computer does it on its own-just in case some of you forgot that), it doesnt feel, or look, like it's 6:30! Ugh...guess I'll go make some coffee & enjoy the sunrise then!

• thanks so much, im very relieved now. I cant wait to go now!
  • For your scripts.
    Have him write a two or 3 week script and then see him the week before you go to Disney get your usual one month supply.

I have done it this way in the past. Some insurances may balk, but I had no issues at all.

The one coaster I would not ride was the rockin roller coaster....I find the initial acceleration to brutal, not that it really hurt me, I just do not like it.

Flip side is I LOVE the tower of terror! Probably not a good place for someone with pain problems, but, I could not go there and not ride it, TWICE...

I found the endorphins and the "fun" of Disney far outweighed any additional pain for me.

Hope you have a Blast!
  • Paulgla - Mission Space is still pretty intense. My son and I just about hurled after the "More Intense" version of the ride. I recommend everyone try the "Less Intense" until you know how your stomach will handle it.

Expedition Everest in Animal Kingdom put a hurtin' on me. It is a bit jerky. I used a TENS unit the entire time I was there which helped, but since I walked all the parks, my back was still "done" at the end of each day.

I got one of the passes Angie spoke about that allows you to enter a different way in order to be more comfortable. But, we were just there two weeks ago and the longest we had to wait was 10 minutes for any ride, so I didn't have to use it. My kids wanted me to so they could jump the line, but I had to explain the difference between right and wrong...again.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Just a comment for anyone traveling and filling scripts, don't know how it is for Florida. In Illinois, ONLY a doc, not a PA or NP, can write for things like oxycontin. So, while I can bring in a script from another state written by a doc for that med, if written by a mid-level provider, forget it.
  • My all time favorite coaster is the Incredible Hulk in Universal or what ever they call it now.
    I once rode it FOUR times in a row!

I was at the Disney this year between my trial and permanent SCS placement this spring. PM would probably frown on me abusing myself that way again now.

Kind of on/off topic, but I find it very frustrating to have a small section of "good" days, only to wake one day and feel like a semi has rolled over you, they scraped you of the road and tossed the remains in a trash barrel and you have to crawl out....so, be careful down there :D
  • I absolutely LOVE roller coasters. I have never been to disney but have always wanted to go. I thought that was now a pipe dream with all of my back issues but after reading this I am wondering if there may be a way that I could do it. I hope that you have a great time. You certainly deserve it with some of the things you have been through recently. Be sure to tell us all about it when you get back.
  • ride is Dinosour in Animal Kingdom, but there is no way I can do it now. Last time I rode it was when my back first started to get really bad and after the ride started, I thought, what am I doing???? I still loved it!