Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in New Member Introductions
hello everyone, i'm here to hopefully learn about tips and suggestions on my road to recovery.

i have lower back pain that hurts by just doing the simplest tasks, ex. picking up basket of clothes. it sux. i'm 21 years old. I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and anxiety disorder in the summer time.

back pain started when i was in middle school and i tried to do a back flip on trampoline and landed on my stomach which made lower back fold. Hasn't been right since. went to therapy, went away. a few yrs. ago i started doing mechanical work and also working in factorys. it came back and worse than ever.

My spine now gets out of alignment real quickly and i have to constontly pop it back into place, i'm very irritated by this. I also get muscle spasms, to where i can't move or breathe for about 20 sec. and spasms as small as little muscle twitches. my lower back hurts a great deal when i try to do any kind of work. i've gotten my x ray and mri scan and they both came back normal. i tried to just get through it but it just hurt to much and it seems like something isn't right so i stopped putting any type of strain on my back. Have a job waiting, but i need to find out this problem with my back.

wuts next? i have an appointment tommarow with an orthepedic. i hope he doesn't think i'm their just to get medication. i wanna try to go their prepared.

Im anxious just about 24 hours a day. When i go places i get anxiety attacks. doctors don't want to prescribe me anything so i'm untreated with my anxiety. Anxiety makes my back hurt more.

So if he tells me to try physical therapy do i just go along with it and try it while anxious?
would it do more harm than good?

thnx for reading

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. you seem to have two separate problems, anxiety and back problems. many times they can be related together. a good doctor can sort this out for you, many times using tests such as an MRI or sometimes just an x-ray. :? physical therapy can be a good treatment for back pain and if your doctor prescribes that for you, it may be best! be sure and be honest with your doctor, tell him of your concerns and fears... explain you need his help!! :D good luck and please keep us informed. we are here for you.. =D> Jenny :)
  • Good luck with your Orthosurgeon appointment for tomorrow. My brother has schizoaffective disorder and he had spinal fusion years ago and now he's on an anti-depressant called amitriptyline which is helping his leg pain. I take Cymbalta which helps my leg also and other meds too. Just let him know the pain you're having and he'll refer you to Pain Management or other treatments. Also try to get several opinions. I've seen 2 Orthosurgeons and 1 Neurosurgeon as well as 2 Pain Management Drs. I hope you find some pain relief soon. Take some deep breaths and try to relax with the Doctor. I get nervous around some Doctors and I'm an RN so it's only natural because you need some answers. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :H Welcome!

After reading your post, I was thinking that you might benefit from an inversion table. I have one and it really makes my back feel better. I only suggest it as your MRI doesn't show any obvious issues. My ortho suggested I purchase one as I was having severe sciatica from a bulging disc at L4/L5 but wasn't a surgery candidate. Inverting takes the load of the discs and allows them to hydrate and decompress (taking pressure off nerves). Just a thought -- maybe you could try one out.

I've had anxiety my whole life -- it's genetic -- get it from my mother's side of family -- I think I've read every self help book known to mankind but did get a lot out of one particular -- I'll PM you -- Just remember that you can still function with the anxious feelings -- that's all they are -- feelings. Many times when I occupy myself with a task that takes focus, I realize I'm not as anxious anymore because my mind is occupied. Lots of what makes us feel anxious is our own negative thought patterns.

Anyway, best of luck to you -- for someone so young I certainly want you to enjoy your life so I hope for you to be out of pain real soon.

• thnx everyone for the tips. i will try all those things, i'm willing to try anything to help my problems.
    i had to rescheduled appointment for monday cuz i was dealing with the worst secretary's in the world i'll let u kno how it goes
  • I was wondering if you have tried a PM doc yet? I went through Chiro, PT and the whole nine yards in the beginning. PT actually made my pain worse. I had alot of numbness so they did not want to treat me anymore because they knew it was something more serious. In the end it was a Pain Management doc that was able to diagnose and help me. They have different diagnostic techniques that they use other than Xray or MRI. I am surprised that nobody wants to treat your anxiety. Have you been given a reason for that? Have you seen a psychiatrist for this? Good luck and keep us posted.