Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pets help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:38 AM in Chronic Pain
I see lots of people posting pics of their pets, wow, thats awsome! I have three terriers and a cat myself, and I am owner operator of a mobile pet grooming business.

My Chiro says my lower back pain that I have been experiencing for several months now is due to lifting big dogs. But I don't lift them, my van is equiped with an electric table and ramp system. Sometimes I may have to assist. Like yesterday the hounds (Bassetts) need help getting on the table even in the lowest position becouse they can develop back problems too, due to short legs and stout long bodies.

I was diagnosed with Fibro 20 years ago but I fear something worse. So many new symptoms that come and go. I purchased some health insurance but it did'nt cover what I needed and at almost a thousand a month I don't think I can afford it. So I go to this medical clinic that is low cost, but they refuse to give any pain meds due to the risk of addiction.
I am a non-addictive personality type and have no history of any type of addiction; unless you consider coffe and chocolate...but I have cut down on the coffee.

What to do? What to do? when all they give you is Mobic and that do'snt help?
advertisement

Comments

• As you can see I am one of those that has posted a pic of my baby. I adore her.

A lot of us have the same problem getting pain meds.
    My Doctor does give me my pain meds and they are not near strong enough but he refuses to shange them.
    So although I am on pain meds I am still in savage pain, but what I get is better than nothing.

I am now waiting for my first appointment with the Doctor who may be doing my pain pump implamt.

I am sorry I have no advise to offer but do want to wish you the best of luck and hope you do find someone who will help you.
    Cheers
    Patsy W :H
  • Pets do help indeed. The downside is as with ourselves. old age takes its toll, they get there far sooner then we want them to. They struggle to be our puppy, to play and be happy, yet that time has passed.

It can be a bitter pill to swallow, my Chewy is at 11 1/2 and he is in serious trouble, his hips are shot, his hind leg muscles have atrophied and it looks like we may not have many options. He can't get up off a smooth surface without help and cries even when it is carpeted. We need to get him back to the vet to see what our next step is. I have spent the last two winters saying, "Please, just get him to one more summer"

I have to stop that line of thought or I will be in tears. He is still our buddy, the sparkle is in his eyes. He still wants to be what he was, geez, I surrender, I am now crying...

Anyway, pets have been proved to extend our lives, give us companionship and I suspect cardiovascular exersize as our hearts break when we know they will not last long enough, not nearly long enough.

Enjoy them while you can, mourn them when they must pass, save another and repeat. You life will be richer for the process. (can be hard on the wallet though)
  • One of my dogs is at the vet fighting for her life. Actually, the other dog is there to keep the old girl company and because my husband and I are going to the Badgers V Purdue game tommorrow. My husband is sleeping in the guest room. I think he doesn't want me to see him cry. It is his hunting buddy. My pain level is very high so I guess it works both ways. (I tried to send you a PM.) Susan
  • Hi. I lost my best little buddy in the entire world in April and it broke my heart. His name is Merc and he's still my avitar. My heart goes out to you both - I understand what it's like to lose your best friend, nurse and jokester.

For what it's worth, I have a doggie stew recipe that I believe helped my little Merc live a couple years longer than he was supposed to. If either of you would like the recipe, please PM me. I'd be very happy to share it with you and see if it helps your little furry friend.

Cath

PS Although I thought it would take years to get past mourning the loss of my little Mercster, my hubby took me to see a little puppy on the spur of the moment in May and we ended up adopting him. His name is Wally and he's helped us get through such a difficult time in more ways that I could have imagined, much to my surprise. His picture is below.

">image
  • O:) Hi, I firmly believe my pup Kya was sent to help get me through the most difficult time in my life. Her photo is my icon. In Sept. for my birthday my family rescued a beautiful puppy to help cheer me up from all the pain I was in. My spinal fusion was scheduled for Dec.and I was out on Medical leave. My previous dog had passed only 5 months prior. I thought it was too soon but when they placed her in my arms I knew it was to be a special bond between us. She never left my side, slept with me and made me laugh when I wanted to cry.

Well, I had my surgery, started to improve and one day a friend said it looked as though Kya was limping. Looking back at her adoptive paperwork it said she had rear lameness, but that it had been resolved. Evidentally not! We did alot of research & had people helping us only to find out she had a condition called D.M. Degenerative mylopathy. It caused her to lose the use of her hind legs. I think the place we got her from (I won't name them) knew this and saw me come in and said" give the crippled puppy to the crippled woman with the cane" I used to pray for the day when we could go for walks together, but it never happened. We had a cart made for her but she did not take to it. We (my partner) front walked her and she was relatively a happy dog. I knew the day had come to end it all just by the way she looked at me. So at just three years old she passed the Rainbow Bridge. I know some day we will run together!

I have another rescue dog, a Border Collie who is now two years old and is learning to help me when I need things. She can get the phone for me, pick up my cane when it falls or go get my daughter when I need help. And the best thing of all is she makes me HAPPY!!

It's nice to see all of the dogs photos on the site. Remember DOG spelled backwards is GOD.

Donna :H
  • My heart goes out to all of you. I lost my beloved Minute Maid, about 4 years ago. I greived for her well over a year before I could even think about another little buddy.
    I adore my little Pepper but I still greive for my Minute Maid and visit her grave every day.
    Wrambler have you tried the arthritis meds that you can get in any pet deptartment for your beloved Chewy?? A lot of people swear by it. It is the same thing we take for our joints. I can't think of the name of it. Someone help me out here.
    Susan..I hope your baby pulls out of this and you have her for many more years.
    Cath....as I said I know what it is to loose a beloved friend. They are our hearts. I grieve with you my friend.
    My little Pepper is a rescue dog and she never leaves my side. She came from one of those awful puppy mills and I belong to her.
    I also have my outdoor cat, Bruce. Bruce loves Pepper but Pepper just tolerates Bruce. LOL
    Our beloved pets are our hearts and souls and we areso much better for them.
    Patsy W
  • hi and welcome to the forum!! i am sorry to hear you are having to make due without pain medications.. for so many of us they make life so much better. i am sure you have thought of other doctors even if you had to pay a fee. this is a dilemma for so many people these days, medication and money... i am so happy to see you are an animal lover. i have a 70# boxer/pit named Sirius.. she is the best!!! she has bad hips and is only 5 years old.. i feel so bad for her.. she is on medication and still walks sideways so i know she is in pain.. i see her hobble after my husband and i just want to cry..for many years, before i could no longer move the dogs around, i was a dog bather. did the bathing and the nails, put on the ribbon, stuff like that.. some easy cuts.. i loved it!!!! welcome again and take good care of yourself!!! Jenny
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.