Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does it run in the family?

mamainpainmmamainpain Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am wondering what you all think about back problems being hereditary? I know arthritis can be a family trait, but I am wondering about bad backs in general. I know my mom has a bad back, (DDD etc.) my dad had a bad back, grandparents etc. When I talk to my friends they seem to say the same thing. I wonder if it is more lifestyle our parents pass down to us or genetics. Just curious what you think.
Have a good day!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I believe that it does run in families. All of my Dad's family had back problems and there are ten of us kids and all of us have back problems of some kind or other. It's something I hope I don't pass on to my son that's for sure.
    I hope you're having a good day.

• my mum is 89 im 43, im the baby of the family (she thought i was the menopause lol)mum has typical dowegers (spelling) hump. i know that was through war years, lack of good food etc, but she has other probs with her back as well, spurs etc, riddled with arthritis, told her she saved all the good stuff for me lol, i truly am my mother, love her to bits though, she gave birth to 10 kids, 7 are still here, i thank god everyday i am still here to share my time with such an amazing lady, some days i wish i was more like my dad, but sadly he passed when i was 14, bad heart, would rather live with bad back than pass away before my time with dodgy ticker, SORRY i have rambled, had a bad day and gonna have a bad night
  • Poor thing, bad nights are so frustrating. Seems like the morning will never come sometimes. Amazing how different people are, I know people who sleep like the dead, fall asleep fast and sleep hard till morning, me...I honestly can't remember the last time I had a really solid, great nights sleep. I use Ambien occasionally which helps, but I almost always wake up at 2-3 am and have trouble falling back to sleep, end up going to bed at 7pm, just to catch up. It is amazing how elusive sleep can be! I will think good thoughts for both of us tonight and maybe Mr. Sandman will show up for us both!!!!
    hang in there!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Look at the definitions of some key words:

Hereditary Genetically transmitted from PARENT to offspring.
    Genetics Living things inherit traits from their parents. Much has to do with DNA structure.
    EnvironmentPhysical and biological factors along with chemical interactions that affect an organism.

Ok, so roll all three of these together and you will find that spinal problems do seem to run in families. I personally believe that you need all three for this to happen. Point in case, I started with back problems when I was 15, developed spinal problems by 17, first surgery at 28. My father, always fit, developed his first back problem at 68 and had his first back surgery at 73.
    So, following the definitions of heredity and genetics, my case would be backwards. But add environment and more importantly predisposition and it all starts to add up.
    Now, my son who is 35 had some early back problems, much as a result of playing ice hockey. He is pretty clear now. My daughter, who is 31 has had a number of disc problems, small tears, muscle problems, but no surgery at this point. So both of my children would follow the genetic piece.

You know what, I really dont know.. I can only speak from my own family experiences. But it would be really good if spinal problems could be isolated down to some genetic conditions. Then perhaps science could find the DNA that leads to the problem and then science could perhaps eliminate that DNA piece.

Your guess is as good as mine.... It just a good topic to discuss.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My particular back problem - scoliosis - is said to be hereditary. My grandmother (mother's mother) had it but only mildly and she received no treatment for it. Neither of my daughters have it and so far there's no sign of it in my very young grandaughters. I know of many people with scoliosis who can find no other family member with it. It could be that it misses a generation or two.

I could have inherited worse things.
  • My condition was congenital according to my ortho. My mum had almost the same problem as me, and had fusion surgery too, in 1974. She was 41 then.

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator