Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting harder to sleep, pain flares up makes for a long night

karenlkkarenl Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I am sure I am not the only one that finds sleeping difficult. Dealing with pain in the day seems easier then at night . Not sure why , but when the pain kicks in at night and you roll side to side , on your back and get no relief it feels worse. I sit on the side of the bed, take a walk around the house then try again , no luck. In the morning I look like a mac truck hit me . My husband came home from working the night shift and said I looked like hell. Well I did and feel like hell. By the morning I am exhausted from lack of sleep and dealing with the pain. I am sure there are many of you feel the same way. I was thinking of buying a recliner. Do you think it would help, lying flat is killing me.

• myself i cannot recline, even have to have dental check ups sitting bolt up right, makes dentist cross but hey gotta look after our teeth right ?
    bought memory foam mattress which was great to start with, but, im like a turtle, cant turn over on my own. if i wake on my back, OMG, cant sleep on my side, hips kill me, arms go to sleep, pain in my ears, docs never heard of that before ? leg and ankle pain, so toss an turn all turn all night, only if i can wake my hubby from his snoring induced coma to turn me over.
    god its a wonderful life.
    NO truly im glad i still have the energy to MOAN
  • does help me. I know what you mean about tossing around in bed and pray that you don't rol over on your back! It is really hard for me because I wear a CPap mask and it is hard to lay on my side and totally can't lay on my stomach. One thing that has really helped me is a memory foam mattress topper. Not the cheap kind. I got the Canopy 4" memory foam topper from Walmart. You can get them anywhere from 1.5 to 4" thick. It is great! It really takes all of the pressure points away and makes it so much easier for me to sleep. I got the king size and it cost $138.00. I hated to spend that much because I have a really great mattress. Now that I have one I swesr by it. It may be worth it for you to give one a try. Good luck.
  • Are you taking a pill to aid sleep? If not see if doc can give you one. Try different mattresses. Do as much exercise as you can during day to get really physically tired. Try a snack before bed.