Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Paddle in cervical spine

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi everyone,
My fiance has a Medtronic SCS installed with percutaneous leads that worked great for about 2.5 years. The leads have migrated drastically and no longer work at all. So his doc has advised him to change out the equipment to a Boston Scientific device that has a paddle instead of two leads. The surgery requires a partial laminectomy to install the paddle.
My question is...the docs we've seen (one neurosurgeon, one orthopaedic) in Virginia have only installed these type paddles twice in the cervical area. Yep, that once each! They both said that the procedure is very rare in the cervical area. Has anyone out there had this done?
We're very nervous about having a "new" procedure done in such a sensitive area, and would like a more experienced doctor if there is one out there anywhere! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• I hope it isn't too rare! I'm having the SCS permanently implanted on Friday (the 13th!) and will have the paddle placed in my cervical region. She will enter at C1 and the paddle will be providing stimulation in the C5-C7 area.
    Actually, my neurosurgeon has performed this procedure many times. She did say that I will have to be very careful about movement in the early weeks after the surgery for it to have an opportunity to scar in properly.
    Good luck to you!
  • I don't think it is as rare as I was led to believe. We found a neurosurgeon who has implanted many in the cervical region. Best of luck to you tomorrow! Post back and let us know how you are doing. We'll do the same.